• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

MIP in Washington State, over the age 18

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joe

WASHINGTON STATE

Just recieved a MIP in the mail yesterday for a run in with the cops in mid January at a party where there was drinking (just background info). This is my FIRST infraction ever committed.
Although I was NOT drinking, and I have witnesses who can testify, I am aware that I am still guilty of an infraction, however, I was unaware of this part of the law--not that it matters, the law's the law. I have decided to plea not guilty and I have a few questions about this plea:
Am I eligible for a "deferral" or "dismissal" for this infraction even if I am over the age of 18?
What is the nature of a typical case?
Will I be able to explain myself to the judge? I am a junior in college with a 3.9 GPA with high hopes of becoming a teacher... I realize what I did was wrong, but I was not drinking, nor was I directly around it as I was outdoors socializing...
Again, none of this probably matters to the judge, but should I still say this?

Please help!
Joe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">