• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Misleading Teen Sends Underage Photos

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PointBreak

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My friend has a Myspace www.myspace.com account which he used to talk and meet people. He recently became online friends with a girl who claimed her age on the site was 99 and making him think she was 19 years old. He talked with her and she sent him photos of herself that contained nudity.

He later had a close female friend send a message asking the girl what her age was and she replied back with either 15 or 16.

An officer who is close with my friends family contacted my friend and told him that the Myspace girls friends found out about her sending underage photos and the myspace girls friend father was told about the incident.

The myspace girls friends father is a cop and contacted authorities which is how my friends family officer found out.

But my friend has NEVER met the myspace girl in person yet.

My friends family officer told my friend to delete all photos of the underage girl from his computer.

My friend has not had anybody from the police department show up to his house yet or question him about this incident yet, but he has great concern that this will happen possibly in a few days rom his familys officer.

------

I was curious if you guys have any information to share that can help in get him into the clear since he never knew about the girl lying about her age when she sent the pictures and believed she was of legal age.

In Myspace terms of service you are asked to represent you real age or your account may be deleted.

rmet4nzkx

There is nothing to be done, everything that has transpired can be trced so the police or law enforcement or FBI will take his computer and have a forensic examiner look at it,. If the records show she misrepreseted her age and she sent the pictures without his solicitation, things will progress according to the evidence. Tell your friend to watch the Dateline shows on preditors and stay away from My Space.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
PointBreak said:
In Myspace terms of service you are asked to represent you real age or your account may be deleted.

And everyone, including old geezers, knows that MySpace does nothing about it and that almost every underage kid misrepresents their age with something ridiculous.

Your friend should realize that simply deleting the pictures doesn't completely get rid of them.

PointBreak

stealth2 said:

And everyone, including old geezers, knows that MySpace does nothing about it and that almost every underage kid misrepresents their age with something ridiculous.

Your friend should realize that simply deleting the pictures doesn't completely get rid of them.
He also deleted the from the Recycle Bin because I heard a grandma once was charged for having them still in the Recycle Bin, is there anything else he can do?

And he isnt missing with evidence if he hasnt been contacted by prosecuteres yet, he has been told to do this by a friend cop of his.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
PointBreak said:
He also deleted the from the Recycle Bin because I heard a grandma once was charged for having them still in the Recycle Bin, is there anything else he can do?

And he isnt missing with evidence if he hasnt been contacted by prosecuteres yet, he has been told to do this by a friend cop of his.

So, you would like us to advise how to remove evidence from the computer?
With computer forensics now-a-days, your best bet may be to dump the whole computer in to a fresh lava pit to ensure it's destruction.

fairisfair

even that probably won't work, as they obviously already know what was sent, and to whom, in addition, they probably have his reponses.

PointBreak

my friend told me that his friend cop said he may have slipped out of everything because he deleted the pictures from his computer

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
PointBreak said:
my friend told me that his friend cop said he may have slipped out of everything because he deleted the pictures from his computer
Let me be very clear: When you "delete" things from the computer, the information is still there. It can be recovered by any modestly competent person. That's a big part of the field of computer forensics.

xylene

This could be bigger than Waco...

rmet4nzkx said:
Tampering with evidence is an additional charge.
:rolleyes:

pointbreak said:
The real crime is this kid's grammar.

pointbreak said:
My friend has not had anybody from the police department show up to his house yet or question him about this incident yet, but he has great concern that this will happen possibly in a few days rom his familys officer.
I am sure that the police are going to spend hundred of manhours on this. :confused:

Perhaps I am just one of those liberal blue state jerks who thinks that a girls ultra-low-res flashie pic to a myspace pal within 3 years of her age is an investigation that is going nowhere and is a waste of time effort

But, I am not from Virgina, Wyoming or Iran, so I guess I wouldn't know.

Last edited:

fairisfair

anyway, what is there in the post that indicates that this guy has done anything illegal, he did not solicit the pictures, he thought he was dealing with a girl that was of legal age, and nothing indicates that he knew at any time that he wasn't. there is no information suggesting that he has in anyway maintained his relationship or tried to further it. Erasing unwanted items from ones computer is not illegal, and he has not been charged with any crime.

rmet4nzkx

fairisfair said:
anyway, what is there in the post that indicates that this guy has done anything illegal, he did not solicit the pictures, he thought he was dealing with a girl that was of legal age, and nothing indicates that he knew at any time that he wasn't. there is no information suggesting that he has in anyway maintained his relationship or tried to further it. Erasing unwanted items from ones computer is not illegal, and he has not been charged with any crime.
Tampering with evidence when one knows or should have known there was an investigation, IS Illegal and implies guilt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">