• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Missouri minor emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms Piggy

What is the name of your state? missouri

How old must a child be in Missouri to be free from parental control? My 16 year old has written me a note stating his requirements of me and telling me the things he "won't do". He says that he can legally move out at age 17. Does anyone know if this is correct? He titled the note "My emancipation Proclamation". Wonder if someone has given him some ideas about getting emancipated.

BelizeBreeze

Then send him back a contract of Independence.

In it you will list his REQUIREMENTS for continue sustanence, lodging and expenses.

Or, ship junior off to his OTHER parent.

OR, the wonderful "BRAZIL OPTION" :D

By the way, it's 18 so if he leaves, only for one night, call the police and let junior have a look at his alternative for a few hours.

Ms Piggy

Thanx

Missouri

Thanx for the reply! Contract of independece - great idea!!!

This forum has made me feel a little better. Seeing all these crazy kids who want to move out on their own. Poor clueless creatures. Don't parents often long for the day when the know it all kid moves out!!!! :)

BelizeBreeze

Ms Piggy said:
Missouri

Thanx for the reply! Contract of independece - great idea!!!

This forum has made me feel a little better. Seeing all these crazy kids who want to move out on their own. Poor clueless creatures. Don't parents often long for the day when the know it all kid moves out!!!! :)
Where the hell is dad? I'd ship junior off to him and then we'll see how 'independent' he can be :D

kat1963

Parents Bill of Rights

My son came home from school one day,
with a smirk upon his face.
He decided he was smart enough,
to put me in my place.

Guess what I learned in Civics Two,
that's taught by Mr. Wright?
It's all about the laws today,
The "Children's Bill of Rights."

It says I need not clean my room,
don't have to cut my hair.
No one can tell me what to think,
or speak, or what to wear.

I have freedom from religion,
and regardless what you say,
I don't have to bow my head,
and I sure don't have to pray.

I can wear earrings if I want,
and pierce my tongue & nose.
I can read & watch just what I like,
get tattoos from head to toe.

And if you ever spank me,
I'll charge you with a crime.
I'll back up all my charges,
with the marks on my behind.

Don't you ever touch me,
my body's only for my use,
not for your hugs and kisses,
that's just more child abuse.

Don't preach about your morals,
like your Mama did to you.
That's nothing more than mind control,
And it's illegal too!

Mom, I have these children's rights,
so you can't influence me,
Or I'll call Children's Services Division,
better known as C.S ..D.

Of course my first instinct was
To toss him out the door.
But the chance to teach him a lesson
made me think a little more.

I mulled it over carefully,
I couldn't let this go.
A smile crept upon my face,
he's messing with a pro.

Next day I took him shopping
at the local Goodwill Store.
I told him,I'vePick out all you want,
there's shirts & pants galore.

I've called and K-Mart with C.S.D.
who said they didn't care
if I bought you K-Mart shoes
instead of those Nike Airs.

I've canceled that appointment
to take your driver 's test.
The C.S.D. is unconcerned
so I'll decide what 's best.

I said "No time to stop and eat,
or pick up stuff to munch.
And tomorrow you can start to learn
to make your own sack lunch.

Just save the raging appetite,
and wait till dinner time.
We're having liver and onions,
a favorite dish of mine.

He asked "Can I please rent a movie,
to watch on my VCR?
"Sorry, but I sold your TV,
for new tires on my car.

I also rented out your room,
you'll take the couch instead.
The C.S.D. requires
just a roof over your head.

Your clothing won't be trendy now,
I'll choose what we eat.
That allowance that you used to get,
will buy me something neat.

I'm selling off your jet ski,
dirt-bike &roller blades.
Check out the "Parents Bill of Rights,"
It's in effect today!

Hey hot shot, are you crying,
why are you on your knees?
Are you asking God to help you out,
instead of C.S.D..?

-Anonymous

I agree with shipping him to the other parent...or Brazil. I just read a pretty good book called Parent in Control: Restoring Order in Your Home. There is also http://www.toughlove.org/ Frankly if my son handed me that I'd be laughing so hard he'd be in tears.

Good Luck Mom!

KAT

Ms Piggy

I love your replies!!!

They are at least making me smile! :eek:

I am thinking of his dad. He hasn't seen him since he was probably 2 or 3 but he might take him in.

My son has really been a pretty good kid all these years. Of course, when the puberty kicked in he got a little crazy but has never gotten into any trouble outside the house and no MAJOR problems at home. Doesn't cuss (in my presence, doesn't smoke, never drank alcohol etc). Hoping he'll accept our terms and the testosterone will calm down a little. If he's going to stay like this I'd rather he leave. No kid is going to rule my house and he KNOWS it! Must be why he hasn't come home tonight. :cool:

We're going to lay down the terms which are not giving in to him and he can decide if he'll follow or go into foster care.

I saw a petition for a law in Missouri. Looks like a kid can legally move out at 17 in Missouri. This petition was to make a law changing the age to 18.

CdwJava

How can they move out at 17 when they cannot even sign a contract or be legally responsible til 18?

My guess is that what you read about was a loophole that seems to exist in a couple of states where the police cannot return a 17 year old home against their will. It's a big boo-boo that some states are trying to address to remove that gaping hole that leaves parents responsible even though they cannot have the law back up their rights to take control of junior.

Stay tough!

- Carl

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
My (new) teen walked by as I was reading this thread. Had a real urge to just smack him upside the head on general principles. Instead I gave him that enigmatic smile that lead to "What'd I do?" :D

Ms Piggy said:
What is the name of your state? missouri

How old must a child be in Missouri to be free from parental control? My 16 year old has written me a note stating his requirements of me and telling me the things he "won't do". He says that he can legally move out at age 17. Does anyone know if this is correct? He titled the note "My emancipation Proclamation". Wonder if someone has given him some ideas about getting emancipated.
Then tell him when he is 17 he is more than welcome to move out,but while he is 16 and living under your roof he will do as you say. Let him get out in the real world for a week or two, he'll change his mind really fast about what he will and will not do!

Ms Piggy

still waiting

It's very frustrating because I just want to talk to him & get this over with! I'm the kind of person who must get something done right away (once it's on my mind) or I go nuts!

Anyway, the police said if I sign papers about him being a runaway, then juvenile will definitely get involved. He said if we don't sign any papers, no one will get involved. I really don't think I want people nosing in my life. Nothing to hide, but my personal life is sacred to me.

So, I guess we're in waiting mode. Don't believe he took any of his clothes or bathroom necessities with him.

Yes, I plan on telling him that he still must follow the rules til he's 17 and moves out (don't know how he'll make this fantasy happen).

Public Humiliation!! Everybody will have their opinion about what we've done wrong! Ugh.

Why me? :confused:

Ms Piggy said:
It's very frustrating because I just want to talk to him & get this over with! I'm the kind of person who must get something done right away (once it's on my mind) or I go nuts!

Anyway, the police said if I sign papers about him being a runaway, then juvenile will definitely get involved. He said if we don't sign any papers, no one will get involved. I really don't think I want people nosing in my life. Nothing to hide, but my personal life is sacred to me.

So, I guess we're in waiting mode. Don't believe he took any of his clothes or bathroom necessities with him.

Yes, I plan on telling him that he still must follow the rules til he's 17 and moves out (don't know how he'll make this fantasy happen).

Public Humiliation!! Everybody will have their opinion about what we've done wrong! Ugh.

Why me? :confused:
So he left huh? Arg, kids..wait till he finds out that moms a lot easier to get along with when your starved, cold, and dirty. He'll be back. Maybe you should sign those papers let him know who is in charge. If you dont, the next time he wants to stay out for a weekend and you say no..he'll just go..knowing you won't do anything about it. Show him you mean business. Then when he comes home make him clean the whole house top to bottom...with HIS toothbrush! :) Not to make light of your situation...Good Luck!

howamidoing said:
So he left huh? Arg, kids..wait till he finds out that moms a lot easier to get along with when your starved, cold, and dirty. He'll be back. Maybe you should sign those papers let him know who is in charge. If you dont, the next time he wants to stay out for a weekend and you say no..he'll just go..knowing you won't do anything about it. Show him you mean business. Then when he comes home make him clean the whole house top to bottom...with HIS toothbrush! :) Not to make light of your situation...Good Luck!
P.S. Who cares what other people think.When he grows up to be better for it then you can stick your tongue out at them and say "NEENER NEENER NEENER!!!!!!"

Ms Piggy

The saga ends (part II coming soon)

he's home. turns out my own mother was one of the people keeping him!!! :mad: She would not admit it, so I finally called her & said I'd be filling out those papers at the police station & they would be finding him unless he showed up in half an hour. Well, she showed up telling me to give him another 30 minutes to an hour. I asked if she had talked to him. She still denied it. At this point my husband got mad and there was a scene. She left. Within 30 minutes the son showed up! (I had mentioned that if I signed those papers juvenile would get involved & likely put him in detention - kid jail).

When we were done discussing everything & ironing it out I asked my son where he had been. Amazingly the naive boy told me he had been with the son of the manager of his workplace last night & off and on at mom's today. I believe this means the manager knew where he was today when the police went & talked to her AND she knew he had run away last night!! This burns me up. Does anyone think I might be able to press charges on the people who kept him or take any kind of legal action?

S

seniorjudge

Ms Piggy said:
How old must a child be in Missouri to be free from parental control?

There are no statutes that list a bunch of requirements for this to happen.

Whenever someone asks me this (usually a minor), I ask them, "And your full-time job is where?"

This usually ends the conversation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">