• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom trying to take away my child. HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

curious116

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

I am 16 years old living with both of my parents. I just recently gave birth on Sept 24 to my baby boy. My mom doesn't like the baby's father. My mom threatened to take away my child if I did not leave my b/f of a little over a year.

My mom takes drugs, I know this for a fact. We live in a two bedroom home with both of my parents and 3 other siblings. Plus now the baby will be coming home from the hospital soon.

I would really like to know 1. Is there anyway she can actually have my baby took away from me since I am underage. 2. Is there some way I can get emancipated? 3. If I can be emancipated, what are the steps I need to take? 4. If I cannot be emancipated then what are other steps I can take to make sure she cannot use the excuse of not liking my b/f, to take my baby away from me?

Shay-Pari'e

I am 16 years old living with both of my parents. I just recently gave birth on Sept 24 to my baby boy. My mom doesn't like the baby's father. My mom threatened to take away my child if I did not leave my b/f of a little over a year.

My mom takes drugs, I know this for a fact. We live in a two bedroom home with both of my parents and 3 other siblings. Plus now the baby will be coming home from the hospital soon.

I would really like to know 1. Is there anyway she can actually have my baby took away from me since I am underage. Not unless she can prove you are an unfit parent. YOU are responsible for all of the care associated with your child. Your mother is responsible for your care, but not your childs.

[ /I]

2. Is there some way I can get emancipated? 3. If I can be emancipated, what are the steps I need to take? 4. If I cannot be emancipated then what are other steps I can take to make sure she cannot use the excuse of not liking my b/f, to take my baby away from me?

You need to support yourself fully, that means rent, transportation and food, daycare, utilities. and insurance for this child..

Do you honestly think you can get health insurance for this child without using the system?

You are so better off staying at home and getting out of your attitude.

Your parents are willing to help, and you would be a fool not to take that.

I

curious116

I would really like to know 1. Is there anyway she can actually have my baby took away from me since I am underage. Not unless she can prove you are an unfit parent. YOU are responsible for all of the care associated with your child. Your mother is responsible for your care, but not your childs.

[ /I]

2. Is there some way I can get emancipated? 3. If I can be emancipated, what are the steps I need to take? 4. If I cannot be emancipated then what are other steps I can take to make sure she cannot use the excuse of not liking my b/f, to take my baby away from me?

You need to support yourself fully, that means rent, transportation and food, daycare, utilities. and insurance for this child..

Do you honestly think you can get health insurance for this child without using the system?

You are so better off staying at home and getting out of your attitude.

Your parents are willing to help, and you would be a fool not to take that.

I

My mother does do drugs. I do not see her trying to make me choose between my son and the baby's father as being helpful. She is not trying to help nor be supportive of me. The baby's father and I are planning on getting married as soon as I graduate from high school.
I would appreciate her help if that is what she is trying to give, but I am not wanting someone who takes drugs to try to tell me how to raise my child. I think I should have the right to stay with my boyfriend and not have to choose between him or my son.
I don't know where you come off saying I have an attitude. I just wanted some advice on how my mother thinks she can take my child away from me if I don't dump the baby's father.

Last edited:

nextwife

I just wanted some advice on how my mother thinks she can take my child away from me if I don't dump the baby's father.
Mom CAN say who YOU see. You are a minor living under her roof. And you added a child to the mix. She does have the right to limit your contact with someone she does not approve of. At least until you reach the age of majority.

curious116

My son is a preemie. That is why he is still in the hospital. The doctor told me there was nothing that I could of done to prevent premature labor. I had him 2 1/2 months early. I did not smoke or use drugs or alcohol. The doctor said it could be a factor because of my age. I am 16 years old.

I do not see someone who cannot even take care of themselves as being able to take care of a preemie baby. My son will require extra attention once he is home. I have taken classes and things to educate myself on preemies.

Yes I understand that I am underage living in my parents home, but I do have a job and I am going to graduate high school in order to go to college. I plan on giving my son the life I never had. I had a crank head for a mother and my dad never took the time to sit down and talk with myself and my siblings because he always had to work.

I basically had to play mommy to my 2 sisters and brother when we were younger. My mom acted like she didn't even have children. She left us when I was 10 years old. I have had a rough childhood and I act a lot older than my age since I had to cook, clean, and do other things a ten year old wouldn't even dream of doing. I didn't have a childhood. I went from a ten year old to a young women.

I never used drugs or alcohol because I have seen the outcome of people that have used it.

I just want to raise my child myself. I know it will be hard, but I knew this from the moment I found out I was pregnant. I was woman enough to have sex and I plan on being a woman and take on the responsibilites of the outcome of my actions. My son is not a mistake, I love him more than life itself.

My mom can't even take care of herself right now. She knows she has a drug addiction problem but yet she doesn't seek the help she needs. I do not want this type of person watching my child while I attend school. Besides I have a lot of support from other members in my family that said they will help with daycare while I am at school and work.

I have a very close support of family. That is one thing I have been blessed with my entire life was a loving aunt, dad, and grandmother. If I had to end up letting my mom take care of my son I would just let my aunt adopt him. She can't have children and she is the best person with children. Kids love her. She would make a great mother.

But I do not plan on giving up my child to anyone. Not even my mother.

Last edited:

gawm

I hope now you are on birth control. You're going to struggle with this one, if you pop anymore out you won't be able to provide either one with all the things they need.

I am 16 years old living with both of my parents.
Okay so you have bashd your Mom suffiently....

Where is your Dad?
Where was he when you where "acting" like Mom to other siblings?

Your Mom would have to prove you unfit.

You can not and will not be able to prove self-sufficiency..therefore you will not be able to be emancipated. Boyfriend's income will not be considered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">