• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mother kicked me out almost 18 years old (in August)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jordan1010

Ohio. My mother recently kicked me out of her house, she is talking about filing charges on me for running away but she knows where I am. One minute she wants me back at her house and then she's saying "**** you" and a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't know where to go from here. This isn't the first time she's kicked me out. I lived with my ex-boyfriend for 3-4 months when she kicked me out before. I'll be 18 in August which is about 2 months away. I'm living with my dads ex for now. I guess children services is involved.

quincy

Ohio. My mother recently kicked me out of her house, she is talking about filing charges on me for running away but she knows where I am. One minute she wants me back at her house and then she's saying "**** you" and a whole bunch of other stuff. I don't know where to go from here. This isn't the first time she's kicked me out. I lived with my ex-boyfriend for 3-4 months when she kicked me out before. I'll be 18 in August which is about 2 months away. I'm living with my dads ex for now. I guess children services is involved.
What is your legal question, Jordan?

Are you currently in high school? Can you continue to stay with your dad's ex? Where is your dad?

Jordan1010

I'm still in high school, my dads ex has no problem with me staying here and I just seen my dad. Probably like the third time I've seen him.

quincy

I'm still in high school, my dads ex has no problem with me staying here and I just seen my dad. Probably like the third time I've seen him.
Okay. That is good, right? You can stay with your dad's ex until you finish high school?

What exactly is your legal question?

Indiana Filer

If your mom tells you to come home, you go home if she has legal custody of you, whether she initially kicked you out or not. If she kicked you out, and I believe you if you say she did, you need to contact child services and tell them what happened. She could possibly be charged with child abandonment. POSSIBLY, not guaranteed. Child Services may not get involved since you are so close to 18. Since you have a place to stay, and if she lets you stay there, you're safe I hope.

I wish you luck.

Jordan1010

Thank you, both. She came where I was staying with the police and forced me to leave. 3 more months.. Can't wait. Children services is already involved. My dad is calling them again Tuesday for whatever reason.

quincy

Thank you, both. She came where I was staying with the police and forced me to leave. 3 more months.. Can't wait. Children services is already involved. My dad is calling them again Tuesday for whatever reason.
Child services is possibly involved because parents are required in Ohio to provide support (housing, food, necessities) for their child until the child reaches the age of 18. It is possible that child services is involved because you were reported as a runaway. It is possible that your dad's ex was reported as knowingly harboring a runaway. It is also possible that school absences were reported and the state stepped in to find out why. It is a parent's responsibility to make sure their children attend school.

It is too bad that your living situation is a bit of a mess right now. I hope that you can protect yourself enough from the chaos around you so that you can finish high school on time - and I hope that you can eventually find a safe place to live and thrive.

Good luck, Jordan1010.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">