• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moved out with parental consent at 17, Mother stole money, do I own my things

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kw3325

What is the name of your state? South Dakota
As long as i can remember my relationship with my mother has been rocky. She's thrown me down stairs, smashed my belongings, and almost broke my leg once (the bone bruise has not healed completely even after a year). When she isn't physically fighting me she's busy telling me how much she didn't want me and how I'm such a failure. In the past my siblings and I have missed almost a third of the school year because she didn't want to get out of bed (there are other issues with that time for the family but this is already lenghty). So finally I had enough and told her I'm moving out. She's fine with it. She's even happy about it. My father is worried that he will go to jail if he doesn't do anything to make me go back home. If my custodial parent gave me permission to leave is it legal?
If it is legal how much of my belongings can I take with me? I bought most of what I haven't already given to my sister.
She also stole hundreds of dollars from my bank account via online transfer. Is there a way I can force her to give it back?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? South Dakota
As long as i can remember my relationship with my mother has been rocky. She's thrown me down stairs, smashed my belongings, and almost broke my leg once (the bone bruise has not healed completely even after a year). When she isn't physically fighting me she's busy telling me how much she didn't want me and how I'm such a failure. In the past my siblings and I have missed almost a third of the school year because she didn't want to get out of bed (there are other issues with that time for the family but this is already lenghty). So finally I had enough and told her I'm moving out. She's fine with it. She's even happy about it. My father is worried that he will go to jail if he doesn't do anything to make me go back home. If my custodial parent gave me permission to leave is it legal?
If the custodial parent gave you permission, its legal. However, if the custodial parent changes their mind, you have to go back.

If it is legal how much of my belongings can I take with me?
Anything that you paid for or anything else she lets you take.

I bought most of what I haven't already given to my sister.
She also stole hundreds of dollars from my bank account via online transfer. Is there a way I can force her to give it back?
Probably not. However you will want to close that account and open a new one somewhere else...in the mean time change the password.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">