• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out at 18 and on juvenile probation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Senatra6

I'm 18 and on juvenile drug court probation and I want to move from the northern part of my state to down to the middle of my state but on my own where I'd get my own apartment so I'm wondering if I'd be allowed to do this or if I'd have to write up a request I'd need to submit to my p.o. And judge. I'd come up with a plan where I'd still attend school and get a job and everything they'd want to know that I'd continue to do like doctor appointments and the n.a. Meetings I go to. My parent that I live with has no problem with my moving out on my own so she'd be able to vouch for me if that would help so any advice I could get on this subject would be great. Thanks,

LdiJ

I'm 18 and on juvenile drug court probation and I want to move from the northern part of my state to down to the middle of my state but on my own where I'd get my own apartment so I'm wondering if I'd be allowed to do this or if I'd have to write up a request I'd need to submit to my p.o. And judge. I'd come up with a plan where I'd still attend school and get a job and everything they'd want to know that I'd continue to do like doctor appointments and the n.a. Meetings I go to. My parent that I live with has no problem with my moving out on my own so she'd be able to vouch for me if that would help so any advice I could get on this subject would be great. Thanks,
Since you are on probation you would definitely need the blessing of your probation officer and the judge to do that. If you are not yet graduated from high school its quite unlikely that you would get that permission.

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest you pretend like you are opening a business and build solid case why this would be in your best interest. Once you have it done, go to your parole officer and see if he/she agrees and will take the steps needed to allow it.

CdwJava

Rules and laws vary by state, and you did not post yours. You might be allowed to petition for early termination of juvenile probation if the laws in your state permit it. In general, you will have to do as has been suggested and that is to make a solid case as to why the move would be in the best interests of your rehabilitation and how you would maintain any program you are involved in. Further, if probation will not be terminated early, not only does your local probation department have to approve, but the office in the county to where you would move would also have to approve your supervision unless you would be permitted to conduct any check-ins or follow-up mostly long distance.

Best bet would be to ask this of your probation officer.

Just Blue

Attend a better school. At 18 you should have basic punctuation ability. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">