• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bright_Eyes

What is the name of your state? New Jersey

i am 17 years old. I wish to move out on my own. will it be legal for me to do this? can i get an apartment at 17? i may be able to get the consent of my guardian (my mom)

thanksWhat is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

Bright_Eyes said:

i am 17 years old. I wish to move out on my own. will it be legal for me to do this?
Nope
can i get an apartment at 17?
If you can find someone stupid enough to allow a minor to sign a contract they are not, by law, responsible for.
i may be able to get the consent of my guardian (my mom)
That's wonderful. Plan on living on the street unless mom accepts the financial responsibility. Now, what about dad? Did you forget it took two (sperm AND egg) to make you?

pjamas

if...

if mom has custody than no one cares about dad's opinnion, legally.

You can move out legally, if you have consent.

You can get an apartment if you have your parent cosign the lease.

You can get emancipated with permission from your parent, and proof that you can support yourself fully, bur depending on when you turn 18 this might take too much time.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
pjamas said:

Wrong. Because there are different kinds of custody -- legal and physical. Nowadays most parents have JOINT legal. And if dad has joint legal it matters. If she attempts to move out, Dad can move for custody on an emergency basis to prevent his child from being homeless.

Again wrong! See above. It requires the consent of both parents.

Maybe but probably not because most landlords don't want a child living alone on their property. Because minors cannot legally enter into contracts therefore their signature on a lease is worth NOTHING.

You can get emancipated with permission from your parent, and proof that you can support yourself fully, bur depending on when you turn 18 this might take too much time.
Hey you got one somewhat right. Emancipation requires being able to FULLY support yourself and permission may or may not be required. Poster, stay put until you no longer a minor. Show you are responsible by doing at least that.

BelizeBreeze

pjamas said:

I would STRONGLY suggest you learn the correct legal answers before you attempt to give legal advice.

AHA

Bright_Eyes said:

i am 17 years old. I wish to move out on my own. will it be legal for me to do this? can i get an apartment at 17? i may be able to get the consent of my guardian (my mom)

Look, you have managed to survive under your Mom's roof for SEVENTEEN YEARS, is ONE more year going to kill you???

Last edited:

Shay-Pari'e

pjamas said:

People need to look at your posting history. Please find another forum, as you can do some serious damage to someones life, since you are so under educated you need a special pet to actually type for you.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=287558

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">