• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving and Responsibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mbengtson

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

Thank you for your time,

I am currently 17 years old; I will be 18 in a few months. I called my local PD and asked them about my age, and they said I can legally move out. My parents and I just aren't getting along lately. Two years ago, DSS was involved and I moved to my Grandma's foster home for a year. I moved back to my folks' place last summer. The environment is bipolar; sometimes everyone gets along, and sometimes I just want to walk out. I beleive my mother is bipolar; sometimes she's just so mad, for no reason. It's really frustrating, because I try to talk to her about whatever is bothering her, and she just gets frustrated, which gets me frustrated. She's kind of immature, which makes it really hard to live with her. Arguments occur, and of course the child has a different side of the story, but when I tell my father what happened, my mother always changes things around. It may sound kind of childish for me to say this about my mother, but she actually lies to my father sometimes. My little sister is her pet, too, so that's 2 vs 1 in an explanation to my dad. Guess who gets upset EVERY TIME.

This living environment and the several redundant rules have led me to deciding to move out. I currently have to be home at 10:00 PM, I can't eat dinner or take showers after 9:30 PM (don't ask why, I don't know); this means that if I go to the gym at night, I have to use the icky gym showers. I cannot use the computer unless my mother or father is in the same room, and I am not alowed to play video games. Oh, an on top of all that, I scored great on my SATs and got all As except a B+ and a B for final averages, in my junior year.

I think that it is about time that they start realizing that I am about to be an adult. I really can't deal with this anymore, and have looked for places to live. I work with 2 20-year-olds who have offered to take me in. I was wondering; What expenses do I have to worry about? Is health insurance covered until I get out of school? I pay car insurance, but what else will I have to deal with?

I do not make an excellent amount of money; now that it's summer, I make about $250 a week. I am going to college in a year, so I need to save as much as possible. There is a problem with the place I may be going to; There are 3 bedrooms in their (my co-workers') condo, and all of them are being used. Would it be legal for me to live there, sort of as an under the table sleepover guest? Instead of paying rent, I would do chores and keep the house clean, like after parties and such. Would I have to change my address?

Also, what would be the best way to bring this up with my parents? They already gave me consent to move out, but I don't think that they thought I would use it.

Thank you very much!

Mikyle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">