• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moving while on Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jonnyrouge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am 16, turn 17 June 9th. I am currently on probation for 6 months for criminal mischief and the disposition date was May 28th. I was given 1 month of house arrest, 6 months supervised probation, 24 hours of juvenile road crew, and I was required to go to a therapist. I have to pay 350 dollars for a moped I broke and 125 for a basketball goal I broke, plus a 100 Dollar administrative fee along with 150 dollars for all 6 months of probation and around 50-80 dollars for juvenile road crew. My father and mother are divorced with my father having full custody. I was wondering if it'd be possible to move in with my mother, both if my dad gave permission as well as if he didn't, and if I'd have to pay fines first or possibly have to finish out the whole probation period first.Any help would be much appreciated. I do have a job where I work 25 hours a week at 8 dollars an hour so I could pay off all the fines in 3 months tops, but more likely around 2.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I am 16, turn 17 June 9th. I am currently on probation for 6 months for criminal mischief and the disposition date was May 28th. I was given 1 month of house arrest, 6 months supervised probation, 24 hours of juvenile road crew, and I was required to go to a therapist. I have to pay 350 dollars for a moped I broke and 125 for a basketball goal I broke, plus a 100 Dollar administrative fee along with 150 dollars for all 6 months of probation and around 50-80 dollars for juvenile road crew. My father and mother are divorced with my father having full custody. I was wondering if it'd be possible to move in with my mother, both if my dad gave permission as well as if he didn't, and if I'd have to pay fines first or possibly have to finish out the whole probation period first.Any help would be much appreciated. I do have a job where I work 25 hours a week at 8 dollars an hour so I could pay off all the fines in 3 months tops, but more likely around 2.
If your parents are in agreement, then you need to speak with your probation officer.

If your parents aren't in agreement, then you don't move.

Jonnyrouge

Would I be able to move if they were in agreement even if I still had fines to pay off? Also what's the likelihood if they were that my p.o. would let me? Also would I even be able to move even if I was off probation but my dad still didn't want me too? I've also graduated high school already.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Would I be able to move if they were in agreement even if I still had fines to pay off? Also what's the likelihood if they were that my p.o. would let me? Also would I even be able to move even if I was off probation but my dad still didn't want me too? I've also graduated high school already.
You need to talk to your probation officer about any move. There is no way we can predict the response.

As I said before if your parents (either one) don't want you to move, then you don't move.

quincy

If your dad has full custody, he would need to approve of any move. If he does, and your mom and dad live in the same community, it is possible that the court would allow for you to finish off your probation while living with your mom. You need to start with your dad, though. If he says "no," it is no.

Jonnyrouge

Well she lives in georgia. So if he says no I can't even being graduated and having a job? What about emancipation? Is that possible? I do make enough money I could feed myself and such and being out of high school I wouldn't need to go to school. So like I would still have nice hours and everything

Last edited:

quincy

Well she lives in georgia. So if he says no I can't even being graduated and having a job? What about emancipation? Is that possible? I do make enough money I could feed myself and such and being out of high school I wouldn't need to go to school.
I suggest you start a conversation with your dad.

Emancipation is unlikely (more is involved than just being able to feed yourself) and a move to Georgia is also unlikely while you are on probation in Indiana.

Last edited:

Ladyback1

Well she lives in georgia. So if he says no I can't even being graduated and having a job? What about emancipation? Is that possible? I do make enough money I could feed myself and such and being out of high school I wouldn't need to go to school. So like I would still have nice hours and everything
What is your reasoning for wanting to move to Georgia with your Mom?

Do you have a job there? Do you have some sort of apprenticeship or educational opportunity there? (betcha your probation officer asks those same questions!)
Not only do you have to get the OK from YOUR probation officer, I believe that you will have to have a probation office lined up in Georgia. (I could be wrong on Georgia having to "accept" you for lack of a better word)

You would be better off taking care of the mess you created in Indiana and then moving to Georgia. Besides, even though you've graduated high school? You're still a minor and you are still under Dad's "influence" until you turn 18.

quincy

Well I just tried to bring it up with him and he just walked away and said it's not even a discussion.
I imagine your dad is pretty upset with you right now. But, if your dad said it is "not even a discussion," then I guess you have your answer about moving.

You will have more options available to you once you serve your probation, pay your fines, do all that is required of you, and grow a bit older. Until then, you need to listen to your dad, even if he is not currently wanting to listen to you.

Good luck, Jonnyrouge. Try to stay out of trouble.

Jonnyrouge

My father treats me horribly and I do have a job lined up and I was also looking to some classes at a community college there. I'm not trying to escape my mess, the thing is I would deal with it. I just don't want to deal with my father.

Ladyback1

My father treats me horribly and I do have a job lined up and I was also looking to some classes at a community college there. I'm not trying to escape my mess, the thing is I would deal with it. I just don't want to deal with my father.

ahhhh....hun! Dealing with your mess INCLUDES having to deal with the parent(s) that you disappointed.

And yeah, Dad has every right to be angry, frustrated, irritated, etc. with you.

Furthermore, if Georgia's justice system does not have the equivalent of "juvenile road crew" what will you do for those 24 hrs?

Think this through: You should just put your head down, take care of your responsibilities (go to work, go to therapy, perform your community service hours) within the next 6 months; and then have the discussion with your custodial parent.

LdiJ

Much depends on where your mother lives. You would need either your dad's agreement or your mother would have to file to change custody and win in court. However, if your mother lives in the same area, your dad agrees and there are no red flags regarding fitness issues, generally a juvenile probation officer will not object to a change like that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">