• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 14 year old brother charged with 2nd degree felony arson

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bananared17

My family is living in Denton, Texas and my 14 year old brother, in 8th grade, has been charged with 2nd degree felony arson. A group of his friends, 5 boys all in 8th grade, were playing in the wooded area next to their school and our housing development. Apparently one of the boys lit a fire in an old barrell of some kind, but it wasn't my brother. However, the fire grew out of control and it ended up damaging about 4 acres of the woods. On the up side, there was no property damage and no one was hurt. My brother even left at one point, but he went back when one of the boys called him and told him that the fire had spread and fire trucks were coming.
This has come as a real shock to my family because my brother has never been in trouble before, he's definitely a first time offender. In my opinion, this fire was completely accidental since none of the boys meant any harm, it was just completely stupid.
Does anyone have any idea how this will play out? I mean, my brother has never been in trouble, he didn't set the fire, no one was hurt, he's only 14, and none of them tried to run away or deny what they did. My parents are currently at the court house trying to get him to see a judge tonight so he doesn't have to spend the night there. I am positive my brother is absolutely scared out of his mind, so any advice on what we can accept in this situation is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My family is living in Denton, Texas and my 14 year old brother, in 8th grade, has been charged with 2nd degree felony arson. A group of his friends, 5 boys all in 8th grade, were playing in the wooded area next to their school and our housing development. Apparently one of the boys lit a fire in an old barrell of some kind, but it wasn't my brother. However, the fire grew out of control and it ended up damaging about 4 acres of the woods. On the up side, there was no property damage and no one was hurt. My brother even left at one point, but he went back when one of the boys called him and told him that the fire had spread and fire trucks were coming.
This has come as a real shock to my family because my brother has never been in trouble before, he's definitely a first time offender. In my opinion, this fire was completely accidental since none of the boys meant any harm, it was just completely stupid.
The fire was NOT accidental. It was purposefully set. Your brother was there. He is an accomplice. Most criminals or alleged criminals are stupid. Oh and there was property damage -- four acres of woods according to you. That is property. Thank goodness no one was hurt or that would be more serious.

Does anyone have any idea how this will play out? I mean, my brother has never been in trouble, he didn't set the fire, no one was hurt, he's only 14, and none of them tried to run away or deny what they did. My parents are currently at the court house trying to get him to see a judge tonight so he doesn't have to spend the night there. I am positive my brother is absolutely scared out of his mind, so any advice on what we can accept in this situation is greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Your parents should hire an attorney. Your brother may spend time in juvenile detention, could get community service and forced to pay restitution, have to take some classes.... An attorney is definitely necessary. Oh and your brother should be forced to get a job to pay the costs of everything.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">