• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 16 year old wants to live with mom instead of dad

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kerrydina

What is the name of your state? Missouri
My son is 16 years old and his father has primary physical custody of him but we share joint custody. My son doesn't want to live with his father anymore and he wants to come and live with me. I don't know what the laws pertaining to this are. Could the police make him go back home and would I get into trouble for letting him come live with me? We live in the same state, only about 20 minutes apart.

gawm

I take it you are a little softer on the disciplinary side? What does his dad say about this? If he does not agree to it I would imagine any change of custody would have to be done through the courts.

Kerrydina

I'm not sure that I'm a whole lot easier on him but he is failing in school and his dad and step-mom don't seem to care. My son cares but he needs some help. He has been diagnosed by a psyc. that says he is depressed. ( I was the one to take him and try to get him some help) His dad told him if he wanted to come and live with me that he would never speak to him again. That just isn't right!!

weenor

Right or not, if you ex has custody per a court order you will violating that order if son comes to live with you. You will be in contempt of court unless the order is changed.

MtDew35

gawm said:
I take it you are a little softer on the disciplinary side?
Are you kidding me? What the h3ll kind of answer is this to the OP's question? So what if she is "a little softer of the disciplinary" side? What does that have to do with her question?

OP: The custody change would need to be done through the courts, as stated in other responses to your question. With your son being 16 years old, the judge will give a little weight to what his wishes are (BTDT).

Just out of curiosity though, why does your son want to live with you now? What has changed in his relationship with his father and/or his living conditions with his father?

AHA

MtDew35 said:
Are you kidding me? What the h3ll kind of answer is this to the OP's question? So what if she is "a little softer of the disciplinary" side? What does that have to do with her question??
Some teens, given a choice, would want to live with the parent that gives them more "freedom". It doesn't mean that the teen in question is one of them, just a pattern that COULD have been the reason.

gawm

MtDew35 said:
Are you kidding me? What the h3ll kind of answer is this to the OP's question? So what if she is "a little softer of the disciplinary" side? What does that have to do with her question?

It wasn't an answer, it was a question.
What , are you the only one that can be curious?:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

OP: The custody change would need to be done through the courts, as stated in other responses to your question. With your son being 16 years old, the judge will give a little weight to what his wishes are (BTDT).

I believe me and everyone before you already told her this. Your response is redundant!

Just out of curiosity though, why does your son want to live with you now? What has changed in his relationship with his father and/or his living conditions with his father?
You rip my head off, for what I don't know. Then you go and do the same thing. Nothing worse than a hypocrite!

BelizeBreeze

MtDew35 said:

If you are planning on staying on this forum any length of time I would stronly suggest you stuff that attitude back from whence it cam and direct your responses ONLY to the poster's legal question.

Which, by the way, you did not do.

MtDew35

Originally Posted by gawm
I take it you are a little softer on the disciplinary side?
I've been "lurking" on this forum for quite some time - and I've seen hundreds of posts with responses like this from many other "older" members of the forum. It irks me that people get these kind of unwarranted responses. It was an assumption on the part of gawm, and came across, to me at least, as some kind of a "slam", if you will.

Mr. Breeze - I most certainly did respond to OP's question:

I believe me and everyone before you already told her this. Your response is redundant!
I was reiterating, and said so.

BelizeBreeze

MtDew35 said:
I've been "lurking" on this forum for quite some time - and I've seen hundreds of posts with responses like this from many other "older" members of the forum. It irks me that people get these kind of unwarranted responses. It was an assumption on the part of gawm, and came across, to me at least, as some kind of a "slam", if you will.

Mr. Breeze - I most certainly did respond to OP's question:

I was reiterating, and said so.
I am not going to mince words. your attitutde is reserved for your family and circle of friends. Keep it off this forum.

gawm

MtDew35 said:
It wasn't some kind of "slam"! The OP did not take it as a slam and I don't see why you did. It was a simple question, nothing more. It also was not an unwarranted assumption because many 16 year olds will want to live with the parent wich they can have the most fun and least amount of consequences with. Not that it matters what "irks" you.

Last edited:

MtDew35

gawm said:
It wasn't some kind of "slam"! The OP did not take it as a slam and I don't see why you did. It was a simple question, nothing more. It also was not an unwarranted assumption because many 16 year olds will want to live with the parent wich they can have the most fun and least amount of consequences with. Not that it matters what "irks" you.
gawm: I sincerely apologize. As I stated above, I have seen so many rude comments on this site by other posters, and as I read this I obviously took your comment as a slam, when that was not your intention. I see people asking valid questions and being called names (scum, trailer trash), and I jumped down the wrong throat when I posted in response to your response. Again, I apologize.

Mr. Breeze: I like you. Don't know why. Maybe it's your attitude. :rolleyes:

gawm

MtDew35 said:
gawm: I sincerely apologize. As I stated above, I have seen so many rude comments on this site by other posters, and as I read this I obviously took your comment as a slam, when that was not your intention. I see people asking valid questions and being called names (scum, trailer trash), and I jumped down the wrong throat when I posted in response to your response. Again, I apologize.

Mr. Breeze: I like you. Don't know why. Maybe it's your attitude. :rolleyes:
Apology accepted!:cool:

MtDew35 said:

Well aren't you an idiot?...rhetorical...Don't bother to answer.

As all of us know who have BTDT know....Teenagers of divorced or separated parents often play sides to be with the parent that happens to suit their angst at the time.

The teenager play on the shortcomings of the parent they think they can "play".

It happened before my time....My kids do it now...and I am sure It will happen in the future.

Reality just slapped your ass in the face.

Deal with it.

gawm

StickyFingers said:
Well aren't you an idiot?...rhetorical...Don't bother to answer.

As all of us know who have BTDT know....Teenagers of divorced or separated parents often play sides to be with the parent that happens to suit their angst at the time.

The teenager play on the shortcomings of the parent they think they can "play".

It happened before my time....My kids do it now...and I am sure It will happen in the future.

Reality just slapped your ass in the face.

Deal with it.
Now THAT was a slam!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">