• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my 16 yr old daughter detained at walmart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

daisiee7

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca
My daughter was with my sister who is 32 at walmart and my 16 yr old daughter was caught shoplifting. Walmart security employees, detained my daughter and refused to let my sister in the room with her while they questioned my daughter and debated amonst each other whether or not to call police. She was detained by them for more than an hour and they refused to let my sister see or talk to her the entire time. They finally called the police who came after they had her detained over an hour and half. Is this legal of walmart?! They also did not try to contact me the mother at anytime either! Is this legal?!@!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My daughter was with my sister who is 32 at walmart and my 16 yr old daughter was caught shoplifting. Walmart security employees, detained my daughter and refused to let my sister in the room with her while they questioned my daughter and debated amonst each other whether or not to call police. She was detained by them for more than an hour and they refused to let my sister see or talk to her the entire time. They finally called the police who came after they had her detained over an hour and half. Is this legal of walmart?! They also did not try to contact me the mother at anytime either! Is this legal?!@!
yes it is legal. Your daughter was old enough to do the crime so she is old enough to do the time. Why do you believe YOUR sister is entitled to be in the room with your thief of a daughter?

Isis1

ummm...why didn't YOUR SISTER call you within minutes of finding out your daughter was being detained?

Tallrat

Why do you believe YOUR sister is entitled to be in the room with your thief of a daughter?
:rolleyes: Why do you insist to do the Judge Judy crap? It's moronic and unnecessary.

Your sister should have told your daughter to keep quiet and called the police herself. People do not work Walmart Security because they want to. If she was shop lifting she needs to be punished but you want a professional there.

justalayman

=Tallrat;2312640]:

Your sister should have told your daughter to keep quiet and called the police herself.
and told the police what? My niece is being detained because she stole something and I want you to come down here and arrest her?

How about giving the kid a fighting chance that WalMart may not call the police and the kid would not end up with a criminal record.

People do not work Walmart Security because they want to.
They don't? I was not aware WalMart had links to **** Germany and could force people to do things against their will. Those LP personnel choose to work there. They are free to quit anytime.

If she was shop lifting she needs to be punished but you want a professional there.
where? In the backroom at WalMart? The kid has no right to a "professional" in the back room with her. The police actually have no right to be there either as long as what Walmart was doing was legal, which it was from all info posted.

Tallrat

How about giving the kid a fighting chance that WalMart may not call the police and the kid would not end up with a criminal record.
Very Slim after an hour

They don't? I was not aware WalMart had links to **** Germany and could force people to do things against their will. Those LP personnel choose to work there. They are free to quit anytime.
Meaning they are people who work it because they cannot make it in law enforcment or corrections

where? In the backroom at WalMart? The kid has no right to a "professional" in the back room with her. The police actually have no right to be there either as long as what Walmart was doing was legal, which it was from all info posted.
I did not say it was illegal did I? Nope. If the police are called they have more than a right to be there. I would much rather have my kid punished through the courts than a bunch of amateurs with no legal counsel and signing something she may not fully understand.

Last edited:

cyjeff

Very Slim after an hour
Please provide the statistical basis for this "fact".

I worked in LP for years. Most of the interviews took less time, but quite a few took an hour or more.

The amount of time was not a factor in whether or not I called the police.

Meaning they are people who work it because they cannot make it in law enforcment or corrections
Not hardly.

LP for one of the bigger retailers is one of the better paying jobs on the floor. It requires extensive training and not everyone can be effective doing it.

LP is not a bunch of frustrated cop wanna be's any more than your locking your door makes you one.

they are there because retailers lose billions a year in theft.

I did not say it was illegal did I? Nope. If the police are called they have more than a right to be there. I would much rather have my kid punished through the courts than a bunch of amateurs with no legal counsel and signing something she may not fully understand.
First, they are not amateurs. They are professionals.

You are falling into the easy trap of assuming that everyone that works retail has no other options. That is false.

To work LP .. at least in a supervisory role, you must not only have a college degree but also have a very clean criminal record.

Second, until the police were called, the thief had a chance at avoiding a criminal record. All the sister calling the police would have accomplished is ensuring that record.

A rookie mistake.

justalayman

Tallrat;2312663]Very Slim after an hour
Gee, maybe the couple of folks I know that spent a day (like in 8 hours) with LP need to know the police are going to be called. I see no reason to believe the time spent with LP is indicative the police will or will not be called.

Really? I know a lot of police that went TO LP after retirement. It utilizes their training and intelligence but tends to result in fewer people shooting at them.

The police have a right to determine that the detainee is being lawfully detained. Once that is decided, they have no rights to "be there". It is private property and once they have determined they are not investigating a crime, they have no rights at all. They have no rights to be involved in the investigation of the shoplifting until such time the store decides they wish to involve the police.

as long as the store is acting withing their legal rights, the police have no rights to demand anything.

Tallrat

Really? I know a lot of police that went TO LP after retirement. It utilizes their training and intelligence but tends to result in fewer people shooting at them.
Guys I know are much smarter.

Security Jobs
(ex Law enforcement not joe shmoe)

Walmart/KMart = less than $12.00 crappy benefits 10 percent off
Dillards/Kaufmans = $30.00 Good benefits 20 percent off .

Last edited:

justalayman

Guys I know are much smarter.

Security Jobs
(ex Law enforcement not joe shmoe)

Walmart/KMart = less than $12.00 crappy benefits 10 percent off
Dillards/Kaufmans = $30.00 Good benefits 20 percent off .
and this supports your contention how?

or is this how you acknowledge the lack of any support for your position?

CdwJava

Based just on what you wrote, the actions by Wal-Mart would appear to be perfectly lawful.

I agree with the others that say the sister should have called you. I disagree with Tallrat when he says the sister should have called the police. In most situations LP is going to release with an admonition not to return to any of their stores and a signed admission that they will then submit to corporate who will seek a civil assessment of up to $500 (usually averaging about half of that). Calling the police runs the risk of a criminal record and, perhaps, a FELONY BURGLARY charge. It is better to run the odds and let the store handle it.

As of right now, if the police have been involved, she is almost certainly facing criminal charges at least for petty theft shoplifting. As such, an attorney should be consulted immediately.

- Carl

CdwJava

Not many experienced people in Walmart security. But hey, I'm done with this thread. Have fun.
I guess our experiences differ.

While I agree that many of the line staff are not well paid and not often highly experienced, they often tend to be learning the craft as they go to school, putting themself through the academy, or even building a resume to make themselves competitive in the job market. Like any type of job, some are bad, some are good.

The supervisors and higher ups in Wal-Mart tend to be very qualified and many are retired cops or state level investigators. I, myself, have entertained a couple of offers to get into regional LP for Wal-Mart and I may consider it as a post-retirement option in a few years. Decent wage to work with several stores along with my retirement income? Woo-hoo!

- Carl

Tallrat

The supervisors and higher ups in Wal-Mart tend to be very qualified and many are retired cops or state level investigators. I, myself, have entertained a couple of offers to get into regional LP for Wal-Mart and I may consider it as a post-retirement option in a few years. Decent wage to work with several stores along with my retirement income? Woo-hoo!

- Carl
Regional LP yes I agree. I'm talking the average security worker. California I am sure is different. Most the guys where I work either latch on to the higher end stores, Banquet halls and Catholic Churches. Course now they have the drop program so now you have guys staying at the PD for another 8 yrs and most are burnt out and should have retired yrs ago, lol.

My immediate supervisor is the Capt. He has been there for 40 yrs. He should have retired many years ago and is now just a year left on drop. If I don't kill him first! lol. He has only one thing to do. If the chief wants something, doesnt matter - it needs to be done 10 min's ago and if it takes an hour to do he will ask if your done 20 min's later. He has no clue as far as todays Police dept is run.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">