• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 16 yr old son was drinking

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mcj1234

What is the name of your state? New Jersey About 2 weeks ago my son took a bottle of rum out of our home, brought it over to a friends house and left it there. (we were unaware of this) Last night his friend called him and told him that they were going to drink the rum and that he should come over. They met in a vacant lot and split the bottle between the 3 of them.

A couple of hours later, one of the boys who has a drinking problem, started to walk home and was picked up by his father. His father gave him a breathalyzer, which showed to be about .28, took him to the hospital and called the cops.

When the cops came a little while later my son and his other friend were at our house. The cop talked to my son who did admit that the rum came from out house. He vagely admited that he did drink but not how much. The cops did not give him a breathalyzer and there is no way of knowing what his blood alcohol level was.

The cop told us that since this was not a party probably nothing would happen to my son. However we were told by the father of the boy that went to the hospital that "jackets" are going to be prepared and that this may or may not be moved to the county.

The boy that went to the hospital was sent home and is ok. Any idea what type of trouble my son is in and what may happen to him? Eventhough a car was not involved, could he lose his drivers permit?

Shay-Pari'e

What is the name of your state? New Jersey About 2 weeks ago my son took a bottle of rum out of our home, brought it over to a friends house and left it there. (we were unaware of this) Last night his friend called him and told him that they were going to drink the rum and that he should come over. They met in a vacant lot and split the bottle between the 3 of them.

A couple of hours later, one of the boys who has a drinking problem, started to walk home and was picked up by his father. His father gave him a breathalyzer, which showed to be about .28, took him to the hospital and called the cops.

When the cops came a little while later my son and his other friend were at our house. The cop talked to my son who did admit that the rum came from out house. He vagely admited that he did drink but not how much. The cops did not give him a breathalyzer and there is no way of knowing what his blood alcohol level was.

The cop told us that since this was not a party probably nothing would happen to my son. He was a dumb cop.

However we were told by the father of the boy that went to the hospital that "jackets" are going to be prepared and that this may or may not be moved to the county.

The boy that went to the hospital was sent home and is ok. Any idea what type of trouble my son is in and what may happen to him? Eventhough a car was not involved, could he lose his drivers permit? Is this all you are concerned about? Maybe, maybe not is your answer.

Why don't YOU take his permit away?

Some parents simply amaze me.

Duplicate post also.

mcj1234

Losing his permit was just a question and is the least of my concerns. In fact it's one of the only things I can find in the NJ State Statutes dealing with under age drinking. I'm trying to cover all of the bases and answer all of his questions. We just want to know what could happen to him. Good kids make bad choices . When this happens it's then up to the parents to try to help them so that hopefully there won't be a next time.

Caveman

ughabugha

Shiot happens, if people do not think that teenagers are not gonna get in some kinda trouble they are living in the tundra with the friggin ostriches or wheverever they are farmed (in Paris's case hollywood) Look your first brush kiddo. ( I am sure you are still a kiddo with a kiddo still young) Just keep an Eye out and do not stress too much.

I remem when My little one started licking the toads by the north pond< jeesh what the older ones will talk them into.

Last edited:
A couple of hours later, one of the boys who has a drinking problem,
And how do you know this child has a drinking problem?

What makes you state this?

His father gave him a breathalyzer, which showed to be about .28, took him to the hospital and called the cops.
Was his father a cop?

Or is there some over-the-counter breathalizer I don't know about?

mcj1234

His so called friend has been caught drinking and smoking pot numerous times and is always looking for liquor. His parents started locking theirs up and he began asking other kids to get it for him. His dad said they bought a breathalyzer, which was very expensive, so that they could check him randomly. He also gets random drug tests. (his dad is not a cop) Since most of the kids who know him and his parents say he has a drinking problem, I would think he does.

Shay-Pari'e

His so called friend has been caught drinking and smoking pot numerous times and is always looking for liquor. His parents started locking theirs up and he began asking other kids to get it for him. His dad said they bought a breathalyzer, which was very expensive, so that they could check him randomly. He also gets random drug tests. (his dad is not a cop) Since most of the kids who know him and his parents say he has a drinking problem, I would think he does.

Ahh, so you have no control in what happens in your home?

1. Ground your kid from hanging with this alcoholic.
Lock up your booze!

Sorry, that is my legal advice untill you want to accept reality that his friend blew a .28!

Do you even know what a .28 is?

I have a feeling you do.

CdwJava

A report will be prepared, and it may be forwarded to the DA for prosecution. Yes, your child MIGHT be charged with some offense related to supplying the liquor. But, unless the other child was seriously harmed I doubt he will be charged with anything serious (and .28 should cause more than a bad hangover the next day, and an embarrassing case of the ralphs).

At best, their names will sit in a file somewhere just waiting for the next offense. At worst, he gets charged for this.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">