• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My 16yr old son admitted to smoking marijuana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanz

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

Last night I was called to pick up my 16 year old from a party where a kid (same age as my son) was getting sick from taking a bunch of benadryl tablets. He, my son, had not injested any benadryl and had not been drinking (thank god). The party was small, 5 kids, so the officers had the opportunity to question all involved seperatly. When they questioned my son they told him his buddies had "ratted him out" and they knew he had been smoking marijuana. He then admitted to taking a couple of puffs. The officers then called me and released him directly to me from the party (no arrest). They then advised me that he will probably be getting a ticket for being under the influence of a narcotic. My boy isn't perfect but he gets good grades and is in his 3rd year of HS wrestling is polite and wears a "high and tight" haircut. Not that those things mean much but what I am trying to say is he isn't a "burnout" or stoner type so to speak. Since he didn't request my presence or a lawyers I assume the questioning was acceptable. My question is this. Because my son isn't a usual pot smoker would it be in our best intrest to go get a UA for him (I'm sure he will pass it I don't thing a couple of drags will turn him up hot will it?)
Here's the big question HOW BAD CAN THIS THING GET? I know this is something that can ruin his chances in later life especially if he wants to go into law enforcement. There was no pot at the scene his admission seems to be the only evidence against him. I taught him to always be straight up with the police unless your'e somehow involved in somthing way over your head then ask for council. I guess he didn't think this was over his head but it now seems I may have given poor advice. What do you guys think? Should we fight it? If so do we have a chance? If we plead not guilty will that cause them to reduce the charge?

Last edited:

Yes a couple of drags WILL probably turn him up hot. If it was his first time the cannabinoids will probably disappear after a couple of weeks or maybe even a week but there's no way to be certain. It depends on lots of factors like body weight etc.

There's a newsgroup where you may be able to get more information about UA and I think it's called alt.drugs.test.

Curt581

I guess he didn't think this was over his head but it now seems I may have given poor advice.
No, you gave him good advice. As a parent, you can't go wrong with "Tell the truth".

What do you guys think?
Honestly... I think you should make him take responsibility for his actions. Turn it into a learning experience.

Should we fight it? If so do we have a chance?
You can try... but what will you use as a defense? He's already admitted to it.

If we plead not guilty will that cause them to reduce the charge?
No, it's the other way around. They'll be willing to reduce if he agrees to plead Guilty or No Contest.

He's probably looking at a fine and/or a short period of probation. After some time passes, he can see about having the record expunged. As far as a career in L.E., something like this is will not be an automatic disqualifier... as long as he discloses it during the background investigation and it's only a one-time occurrence.

xylene

If you want to give your kid pee tests, thats your bussiness. It won't be the magic discipline bullet you think.

If you are trying to prove anything to the police by with a clean urine test it will do nothing but further incriminate son, clean or not.

Do nothing until your son is actually cited.

If, and I assure it is still an if, he is is cited then get a lawyer.

Your son is not the first person to experiment with marijuana, so don't make the mistake of overreacting, but don't blow it off because he has a football haircut.

1. Get son into a counseling appointment for a talk and a drug assessment to makes sure he is not using more than you realize.

2. Unequivically tell son the rules of your family. (Leave room for dialogue)

3. Make sure he has learned from this experience.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
And.... "We" don't plead to anything. Your kid does. Time for him to man up for his decisions.

Multimom

Having dealt with local police regarding minors, I must tell you that your advice to your son to "be straight up with police" may not have been good advice. The can and will twist anything and everything he said if it will get them a conviction.

The best advice to anyone being questioned without a lawyer, is to keep your mouth shut and not admit to anything ever.

There is little or no justice in our Juvenile Justice System. Speak to any criminal attorney you know and they will tell you the same thing.

Unfortunately, we want to teach our kids that honesty is best, but when it comes to making statements that can incrimate you with the police, the best advice is to keep silent.

No way to know how bad it will get. Fortunately no one was injured and this will soon pass, however, I would encourage you to seek ADAC classes and do whatever you can to educate your son thoroughly regarding drug use.

And to answer your question, yes 2 drags on a joint will cause him to test positive, and actually, second hand smoke in dense enough quantities can produce what we called in the 70's a "contact high" and also make him test positive.

Get a good criminal attorney and don't make any decisions regarding pleas of any kind without sound legal advice.
:eek:

BelizeBreeze

Having dealt with local police regarding minors, I must tell you that your advice to your son to "be straight up with police" may not have been good advice. The can and will twist anything and everything he said if it will get them a conviction.

The best advice to anyone being questioned without a lawyer, is to keep your mouth shut and not admit to anything ever.

There is little or no justice in our Juvenile Justice System. Speak to any criminal attorney you know and they will tell you the same thing.

Unfortunately, we want to teach our kids that honesty is best, but when it comes to making statements that can incrimate you with the police, the best advice is to keep silent.

No way to know how bad it will get. Fortunately no one was injured and this will soon pass, however, I would encourage you to seek ADAC classes and do whatever you can to educate your son thoroughly regarding drug use.

And to answer your question, yes 2 drags on a joint will cause him to test positive, and actually, second hand smoke in dense enough quantities can produce what we called in the 70's a "contact high" and also make him test positive.

Get a good criminal attorney and don't make any decisions regarding pleas of any kind without sound legal advice.
:eek:
More foolishness:rolleyes:

Crazed98

There is no magical number on how many "drags" it takes for someone to test positive. It depends on many factors. But, your statement about "contact high" is untrue there have been many studies done on this and in almost every test (even in small non-ventilated rooms with dense smoke) the second hand smoker came up negative.

rxis

Why is it foolishness?

Do these types of situations require observations before deciding when it is a good time to speak honestly and when not to? I'd just shut up.

I was questioned by the police during a road rage incident. It seemed like they favored the mother with children in the car over me so I remained silent for the most part. One of the officers even said that I had wreckless driving on my record and when I looked surprised he thought it was because I was surprised to find out that he could look it up. I was actually shocked because I don't have a wreckless driving violation but I didn't even argue with him at that point. He was yelling at me no matter what so I just gave up. He even thought I was "one of those racer types" by the look aftermarket parts on my car. How ignorant! I didn't even have any aftermarket parts. He threatened to arrest us but I'm not sure on what grounds I'd be arrested for. I couldn't even be ticketed.
Insurance companies ruled that it was undoubtedly her fault. Lawyers said I had firm grounds to sue, but I didn't know if they were trying to encourage me to sue. I'm more angry at the officer than I am the other driver.

I just had to type his up as it still angers me to this day.

A

austin_kid

What is the name of your state? Wyoming

Last night I was called to pick up my 16 year old from a party where a kid (same age as my son) was getting sick from taking a bunch of benadryl tablets. He, my son, had not injested any benadryl and had not been drinking (thank god). The party was small, 5 kids, so the officers had the opportunity to question all involved seperatly. When they questioned my son they told him his buddies had "ratted him out" and they knew he had been smoking marijuana. He then admitted to taking a couple of puffs. The officers then called me and released him directly to me from the party (no arrest). They then advised me that he will probably be getting a ticket for being under the influence of a narcotic. My boy isn't perfect but he gets good grades and is in his 3rd year of HS wrestling is polite and wears a "high and tight" haircut. Not that those things mean much but what I am trying to say is he isn't a "burnout" or stoner type so to speak. Since he didn't request my presence or a lawyers I assume the questioning was acceptable. My question is this. Because my son isn't a usual pot smoker would it be in our best intrest to go get a UA for him (I'm sure he will pass it I don't thing a couple of drags will turn him up hot will it?)
Here's the big question HOW BAD CAN THIS THING GET? I know this is something that can ruin his chances in later life especially if he wants to go into law enforcement. There was no pot at the scene his admission seems to be the only evidence against him. I taught him to always be straight up with the police unless your'e somehow involved in somthing way over your head then ask for council. I guess he didn't think this was over his head but it now seems I may have given poor advice. What do you guys think? Should we fight it? If so do we have a chance? If we plead not guilty will that cause them to reduce the charge?

if his admission is the only evidence, and he takes back his confession, they dont have a case. you cant prosecute someone based solely on their confession. there has to be SOME other evidence that he was smoking, like a witness or something like that.

BelizeBreeze

if his admission is the only evidence, and he takes back his confession, they dont have a case.
His CONFESSION, you idiot, is a matter of record. he can rescind all he wants but it's still evidence.
you cant prosecute someone based solely on their confession.
my GOD are you just plain dumb or mentally challenged.
there has to be SOME other evidence that he was smoking, like a witness or something like that.
Will you please stop proving your total lack of the legal process. You're making a fool of yourself.

BelizeBreeze

Why is it foolishness?

Do these types of situations require observations before deciding when it is a good time to speak honestly and when not to? I'd just shut up.

I was questioned by the police during a road rage incident. It seemed like they favored the mother with children in the car over me so I remained silent for the most part. One of the officers even said that I had wreckless driving on my record and when I looked surprised he thought it was because I was surprised to find out that he could look it up. I was actually shocked because I don't have a wreckless driving violation but I didn't even argue with him at that point. He was yelling at me no matter what so I just gave up. He even thought I was "one of those racer types" by the look aftermarket parts on my car. How ignorant! I didn't even have any aftermarket parts. He threatened to arrest us but I'm not sure on what grounds I'd be arrested for. I couldn't even be ticketed.
Insurance companies ruled that it was undoubtedly her fault. Lawyers said I had firm grounds to sue, but I didn't know if they were trying to encourage me to sue. I'm more angry at the officer than I am the other driver.

I just had to type his up as it still angers me to this day.
what does this have to do with the post?

A

austin_kid

His CONFESSION, you idiot, is a matter of record. he can rescind all he wants but it's still evidence.

my GOD are you just plain dumb or mentally challenged.

Will you please stop proving your total lack of the legal process. You're making a fool of yourself.

all im saying is, if he manages to pass his drug test, and pleads 'not guilty', he might get away with it.

Ozark_Sophist

There is an additional issue other posters haven't commented on. If your son competes on high school athletics team, there may be rules governing athletes behavior concerning alcohol and/or drug use which may result in him being kicked off the team for bad conduct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">