• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my best friend wants to get emancipated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mshakedown

What is the name of your state? Virginia.

okies, my best friend who is 16 right now, and will be 17 by the time we move, wants to get emancipated, because me and my family are moving to canada. right now, she's living with her mom and her step father, and she really wants out of there. But she doesn't know if she can get emancipated without her mom's consent. We're not sure, because we don't think her mom would give her, her consent. but the thing is, her mom is very abusive, verbally and sometime physically, and her mom is drunk 90% of the time. Right now, me and my friend are doing whatever it takes for her to go to canada with my family, because my family treats her like she's part of the family. [she calls my dad, 'dad' and such] she's pretty much part of our family. and my mom and my dad want to see if she can get emancipated, and then they'll adopt her into our family. We would just adopt her from her family, but her mom would most likely not give consent with that either. yes my best friend does have a steady job, she actually works with me and my father, and she will have enough money to support herself if needed, which she won't because my family is willingly going to take her in, and even adopt her if possible.

would it be possible for my best friend to get emancipated with out parental consent seeing as she would after wards be getting adopted by my family and she would have a place to live and be supported?
i really need this information.

ceara19

If your friend is being abused, child protective services should be notified. She doesn't qualify for emancipation. Even IF CPS were to remove her from the home, they are not going to place her with a non-relative that doesn't even live in the US.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And emancipated would not terminate her mother's or her father's rights. Where is her father anyway? You are not going to be able to take your friend out of the country with you.

Mshakedown

Her mom, is more abusive in a verbally sense, yet sometimes [ rarely ] physical.

and as for my friend dad, she hasn't seen him since she was like 7, her parents are divorced, and the only contact she has ever had with him was through the child support money that he sends to her mother.

also, my friends mom is getting laid off soon and will not be working, so her family is going to be dependent on her step dad's income, which would mean that there is a case that she would have to travel with her mom and her step dad. Whichshe really doesn't want to do.
He works in shipyards, and often travels.

yes my friend would be able to leave the country with us, because you do not need a passport to enter canada, it's pretty much like crossing state lines. nothing too major about it.

but at the moment, yes my friend does have a job, enough to support herself, she is going to get her license by her 17th birthday, and she will have a place to live.

all i'm asking for, is, is there a way for my friend to get emancipated at 17, if she does have a license, does have a job and does have a place to live, since her mom is getting laid off, and her step dad, doesn't even have legal right over her [he hasn't adopted her, he isn't planning to either] so really she's in the hand of her mother right now, who will not be able to support her, and is basically a drunk.

mommyof4

You have been answered. Your friend is not a candidate for emancipation. She still lives with her family. If she is being abused, she needs to contact CPS (or whatever acronymn applies in VA).

Here are the statutes for emancipation of a minor in VA. Please note that she must already be living seperately and independent of her parent(s) and is FULLY supporting herself and will be deemed to be able to continue to do so. That means that her plan for moving to Canada with your family or being adopted by your parents are a killing deterent to having a motion for legal emancipation granted.

www.bostoncoop.net/lcd/emancipation/virginia.html

In short, not gonna' happen.

And your understanding of international immigration into Canada is woefully lacking.

Just Blue

Kelly, you can remove my post....but you will still be gone when Mary comes in tomorrow!!

Now report this one too...I am sure Mary will get a chuckle out of YOU of all people reporting someone!! :p :p :p

ceara19

Hey Kelly...You should read up on the IAAL case....I wonder how close you are to a court action?????
Unlike IAAL, it won't be very difficult to find Kelly. I actually had her phone # and address at one point and I'm sure I could find it again.

acmb05

Unlike IAAL, it won't be very difficult to find Kelly. I actually had her phone # and address at one point and I'm sure I could find it again.
Whatever happened to them keeping us updated on his case anyway. I am really curious of who he/she is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">