• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My rights as an 18-year-old living with my parents

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

orangejulius

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado

I'm 18 years old and living with emotionally abusive parents.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Move out and pay your own way. It's best to do it now while you know everything. In a few years you will realize how woefully ignorant you are. It's a sad day that everyone faces.

CSO286

You have the right to move out and pay your own way.

You do not have the right to count on their continued financial support.

sandyclaus

Congratulations. You're an adult. Time to put on your "big boy" panties and accept some responsibility for your choices.

If you don't like the conditions you find while living under your parents' roof, you have earned the right to move out and live on your own.

Can't afford to live on your own? Get a job.

Going to school? That's being voluntarily unemployed. As an adult, you have the right to make choices for your life. If you CHOOSE to go to school instead of earning a living, then you must also CHOOSE to deal with unpleasant surroundings while your parents allow you remain at home and not pay for the privilege.

Do you have to accept the emotional abuse? No. But your parents also don't have to allow you to remain living rent-free in their home, either.

Isis1

Awesome! Do what I did at 18. I moved out. WHILE I was still in my senior year in high school. AND I still graduated.

You are going to be fine!

Just Blue

Awesome! Do what I did at 18. I moved out. WHILE I was still in my senior year in high school. AND I still graduated.

You are going to be fine!
I have littlle pity for an adult that whines about his/her "abusive" parents. At 18 I lived on my own and paid my bills. As many do...Not a biggie.;)

dave33

There seems not to be one good piece of advice. Congrats to everyone who responded for stating the obvious and being super tough. Everyone who lives with their parents after they turn 18 is a weak person who should move out. (sarcasm)

I was also out of my parents house beforwe I was eighteen, it was a bad decision.

If at all possible and reasonable, try to stay and save some money or get an education. This will help immensely in the future. goodluck.

anearthw

It seems you have the same right as a legal tenant now. You can choose to not listen to them, interact with them, do what they ask of you - but they have the right to stop providing you with food, clean, cook, whatever, and then evict you.

Silverplum

Or, as no one suggested (because service to one's country is the very last thing on the "minds" of most folk :rolleyes:), you could join the US military.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There seems not to be one good piece of advice.
Yes, there actually was. OP has the choice of moving out if he is unhappy with his situation. Legally, that's a perfectly valid and logical piece of advice.

Proserpina

Or, as no one suggested (because service to one's country is the very last thing on the "minds" of most folk :rolleyes:), you could join the US military.

Um...Silver? How about he goes and plays second-string for the Jets or something, instead? I'm not sure our military really wants him...

:eek:

B

Blutodidit

There seems not to be one good piece of advice. Congrats to everyone who responded for stating the obvious and being super tough. Everyone who lives with their parents after they turn 18 is a weak person who should move out. (sarcasm)

I was also out of my parents house beforwe I was eighteen, it was a bad decision.

If at all possible and reasonable, try to stay and save some money or get an education. This will help immensely in the future. goodluck.
I might add that NOT ALL 18 year olds are mature enough to handle being out in this cruel world on their own. I feel bad for such individuals, many whom are victims of Parental abuse. It would be nice if ALL parents are aware of their need to guide their children so they can handle being on their own at such an age, but unfortunately, that is not too realistic to believe.

OHRoadwarrior

Which is why I told him to go find a homeless shelter. They will feed him and house him.

I might add that NOT ALL 18 year olds are mature enough to handle being out in this cruel world on their own. I feel bad for such individuals, many whom are victims of Parental abuse. It would be nice if ALL parents are aware of their need to guide their children so they can handle being on their own at such an age, but unfortunately, that is not too realistic to believe.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">