• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My son ran away

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bluke

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

My son has ran away at the age of sixteen, he is now seventeen and still not found. He ran away while he was on an ankle bracelet. I wanted to know if he was found and was already 18, and in a different state what would happen to him? Would he still be held against for his crime?

Bluke

He ran away before his final hearing in court. He was on an ankle bracelet after being in juvenile detention for about three months. It was a first offense as well, I don't know much about laws... It was a few misdemeanors.

CdwJava

If he failed to complete the terms of his sentence, he could be arrested and returned to the jurisdiction of the agency from which he "escaped." He doesn't get a free pass when he is 18 - this will always be hanging over him.

Bluke

Will it turn into a felony when he turns 18? Will he be tried as an adult? What if he was found in another state?

CdwJava

Will it turn into a felony when he turns 18? Will he be tried as an adult? What if he was found in another state?
If absconding is a felony, then he will be3 charged with that. Otherwise, he will have to deal with the consequences of his previous offenses.

If found in another state, they will either extradite him (if the agency of jurisdiction wants him) or he will remain a fugitive in that state with a warrant hanging over his head until e is extradited one day or returns home to address the problem.

He will find gainful employment nearly impossible, and access to government services including loans and welfare difficult to obtain with a warrant for his arrest.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He ran away before his final hearing in court. He was on an ankle bracelet after being in juvenile detention for about three months. It was a first offense as well, I don't know much about laws... It was a few misdemeanors.
Escape is a felony. Congrats to him. He will be facing MORE charges when he returns or is caught -- regardless of how long that takes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">