• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My teenage daughter arrested for shoplifting in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalinka25

My daughter and her 2 friends were arrested for shoplifting in Amusements park gift shop(PA) They went to the gift shop 2 times. During first visit my daughter did not know her friends were stealing. After they come out - her friends showed her stolen merchandise. A bit later they wanted to go back to the store to get some candy. 2 girls were discussing whether or not to take something else. My daughter said - "don't do it", and they decided "Let's go get some candy" They went in, bought some food and 2 girls stole more items. They went out from the store together and were approached by security guard. Value of stolen merchandise was 67 dollars. All items were in one of my daughters friends purse. My daughter and the other girl had nothing on them. According to a security guard - my daughter and the other girl were passing merchandise to their friend with the purse to hide. The girl are 15 years old, NY residents, no prior troubles. Now we got a court date in Magisterial District Court. Don't know what to expect. Is there any way to keep her record clean?
Each girl has a different story.... This is my daughters

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My daughter and her 2 friends were arrested for shoplifting in Amusements park gift shop(PA) They went to the gift shop 2 times. During first visit my daughter did not know her friends were stealing. After they come out - her friends showed her stolen merchandise. A bit later they wanted to go back to the store to get some candy. 2 girls were discussing whether or not to take something else. My daughter said - "don't do it", and they decided "Let's go get some candy" They went in, bought some food and 2 girls stole more items. They went out from the store together and were approached by security guard. Value of stolen merchandise was 67 dollars. All items were in one of my daughters friends purse. My daughter and the other girl had nothing on them. According to a security guard - my daughter and the other girl were passing merchandise to their friend with the purse to hide. The girl are 15 years old, NY residents, no prior troubles. Now we got a court date in Magisterial District Court. Don't know what to expect. Is there any way to keep her record clean?
Your daughter is just as guilty as her friends. They are all thieves. If your daughter didn't want to be involved with their stealing, she should have not gone into the store with them. It might be possible for some sort of diversion program but prepare for the fact that she might face a civil demand which is allowable under the law. In addition, she will most likely be banned from this Amusement Park -- maybe even for life. Doesn't matter how good they were in the past -- they are thieves. They broke the law. Most likely this is not the first time they stole but rather the first time they got caught.

In additional to criminal penalties and civil penalties, she also needs to realize that she may have issues with college acceptances, getting a job in retail or other employment that requires trust and various other things. Your daughter screwed up. You weren't there so you can't say what she did or did not do.

If they under 16 then it is a juvenile case, are they arraigned in Juvenal court or regular criminal court? It is serious matter, you need an attorney and if you can not afford one then one will appointed for you.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
If they under 16 then it is a juvenile case, are they arraigned in Juvenal court or regular criminal court? It is serious matter, you need an attorney and if you can not afford one then one will appointed for you.
Wrong. An attorney will NOT be appointed for her. One may be appointed for her delinquent daughter.

Your daughter is just as guilty as her friends. They are all thieves. If your daughter didn't want to be involved with their stealing, she should have not gone into the store with them. It might be possible for some sort of diversion program but prepare for the fact that she might face a civil demand which is allowable under the law. In addition, she will most likely be banned from this Amusement Park -- maybe even for life. Doesn't matter how good they were in the past -- they are thieves. They broke the law. Most likely this is not the first time they stole but rather the first time they got caught.

In additional to criminal penalties and civil penalties, she also needs to realize that she may have issues with college acceptances, getting a job in retail or other employment that requires trust and various other things. Your daughter screwed up. You weren't there so you can't say what she did or did not do.
yeah well your whole post is wrong.....

I meant the daughter, but since your whole post is wrong and nothing in it is factual then there is that. The girl is under 16 this is not a capital offense, she will get some sort of slap on the wrist Juvenal diversion program and you really should not make this person feel worse than it is. I mean she knows that she messed up and knows what happened.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I meant the daughter, but since your whole post is wrong and nothing in it is factual then there is that. The girl is under 16 this is not a capital offense, she will get some sort of slap on the wrist Juvenal diversion program and you really should not make this person feel worse than it is. I mean she knows that she messed up and knows what happened.
Actually my whole post is NOT wrong:
A) The daughter will face civil demands which are legal under the law for the store to demand;
B) The daughter very well may be banned from the amusement park for a period of time including life due to being a suspected thief;
C) No where did I say it is a capital offense but she also can and most likely will have trouble finding employment in retail or other jobs that most teenagers qualify for;
D) She will have to admit on college applications if she is convicted that she has a criminal history and that can mess up her chances of getting into some colleges and even some majors.
E) Daughter knew they had stolen and yet went back into the store with them and more was stolen.
F) Daughter is considered a thief for her actions and she is just as guilty as her two friends who were stealing because she was with them.
G) Mommy can't know what daughter did or didn't do because mommy wasn't there.

So where was I wrong? The daughter knows she messed up? Really? How do you know that? Daughter is NOT posting here. Mommy is. Daughter is just as guilty at shoplifting as the friends with whom she was with. She didn't report the friends for the first shoplifting but according to mommy returned to the store where even more was taken.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I have no affiliations, just providing staste-specific info for OP:

http://www.criminaldefenselawyer.com/resources/criminal-defense/misdemeanor-offense/shoplifting-charges-pennsylvania

Feel free to google up more. I used, "PA shoplifting penalties" for my search.
Oh jeez.. what do you know. There is diversion but she can face fines and jail time (juvenile detention) and a civil demand -- payable by mommy. Jeez. I was RIGHT. That is in addition to the collateral issues I brought up.

Ladyback1

It's JUVENILE.....if you are going to argue who's right/who's wrong, you look really ignorant when you can't spell. (especially when the board title has the friggin' word RIGHT THERE!!)

Last edited:

natalinka25

thanks, no matter what the outcome is - it is impossible to turn "black into white" again. My daughter knows she screwed up big time. To be honest, I'm more concert about the future - I definitely want her to learn a lesson and make better choices in the future. I still did not figure out for myself if she is telling the truth. I wish I knew for sure! Even if she is saying the truth - I understand that it is almost impossible to convince anyone that she wasn't let's say a "look out person", I also understand that she couldn't do anything to prevent it, but she did have an option to stay away from that!

We are immigrants, she always knew she has to do a lot of work herself. Nothing will be given to her. The only way for her to "make it" in this country is to get good education. So far she was doing great - Perfect grades, great sport achievements, volunteering. She was doing a lot of this work hoping, it will help her to get to a good college. It really kills me, that all her hard work may become obsolete because of the theft

Silverplum

thanks, no matter what the outcome is - it is impossible to turn "black into white" again. My daughter knows she screwed up big time. To be honest, I'm more concert about the future - I definitely want her to learn a lesson and make better choices in the future. I still did not figure out for myself if she is telling the truth. I wish I knew for sure! Even if she is saying the truth - I understand that it is almost impossible to convince anyone that she wasn't let's say a "look out person", I also understand that she couldn't do anything to prevent it, but she did have an option to stay away from that!

We are immigrants, she always knew she has to do a lot of work herself. Nothing will be given to her. The only way for her to "make it" in this country is to get good education. So far she was doing great - Perfect grades, great sport achievements, volunteering. She was doing a lot of this work hoping, it will help her to get to a good college. It really kills me, that all her hard work may become obsolete because of the theft
If you want emotional support on the topic, that's for a whole 'nother message board.

If you want legal reality, you come here.

The post that made you thankful and to which you responded was just "support," not legal fact.

Ladyback1

I also understand that she couldn't do anything to prevent it,
Oh yes, yes she could have prevented it.
When she realized what her "friends" where doing, she could have walked up to any employee in the store and advised that her "friends" were shoplifting. Her "friends" would have been the ones with all the trouble. She, most likely, would not have any issues had she done that.

natalinka25

If you want emotional support on the topic, that's for a whole 'nother message board.

If you want legal reality, you come here.

The post that made you thankful and to which you responded was just "support," not legal fact.
Legal reality....
I had no idea how bad it might be, i appreciate all help

Just Blue

Legal reality....
I had no idea how bad it might be, i appreciate all help
I am going to give you a bit of "parental reality". Ignore my comments if you wish.

A 15 year old that was caught stealing is gonna lie if s/he can. Based on your 1st post...seems to me that your child was trying to CHA. IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">