• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My teenage daughter arrested for shoplifting in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

natalinka25

I am going to give you a bit of "parental reality". Ignore my comments if you wish.

A 15 year old that was caught stealing is gonna lie if s/he can. Based on your 1st post...seems to me that your child was trying to CHA. IMO.
"A 15 year old that was caught stealing is gonna lie if s/he can." - I have to doubt about that. I'm not convinced by her story

"CHA. IMO" - I don't know what it means

A) The daughter will face civil demands which are legal under the law for the store to demand;
yeah so what, I am sure she will pay whatever restitution is necessary to cover the items.

B) The daughter very well may be banned from the amusement park for a period of time including life due to being a suspected thief;
who cares, I doubt she would set foot in this amusement park ever again.

C) No where did I say it is a capital offense but she also can and most likely will have trouble finding employment in retail or other jobs that most teenagers qualify for;
How can she have trouble with applying for jobs when those background check companies will see nothing reported?

D) She will have to admit on college applications if she is convicted that she has a criminal history and that can mess up her chances of getting into some colleges and even some majors.
Oh, well. Pretty sure she was a juvenile when this happened and when she turns 18, her adult record starts and the juvenile offenses go bye bye. So you would be wrong yet again.

E) Daughter knew they had stolen and yet went back into the store with them and more was stolen.
How do you know this? where you in here head knowing what she knew at the time? do not make accusations, about things which can not be proven.

F) Daughter is considered a thief for her actions and she is just as guilty as her two friends who were stealing because she was with them.
On this point, you seem to be at least some what correct. Yes she is equally responsible whether or not she knew they were stealing or not.

G) Mommy can't know what daughter did or didn't do because mommy wasn't there.
No, true and they are immigrates so if she was not a US citizen and commits a felony level offense then she would be eligible for deportation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
yeah so what, I am sure she will pay whatever restitution is necessary to cover the items.
That is not what a "civil demand" is. :rolleyes:

Because you stated OG was wrong. She was not.

How can she have trouble with applying for jobs when those background check companies will see nothing reported?
You can't know that. Furthermore, if asked, the OP will need to report it.

Oh, well. Pretty sure she was a juvenile when this happened and when she turns 18, her adult record starts and the juvenile offenses go bye bye. So you would be wrong yet again.
She hasn't been wrong yet, nor was she wrong here.

How do you know this? where you in here head knowing what she knew at the time? do not make accusations, about things which can not be proven.
Because the angel admitted it :rolleyes:

On this point, you seem to be at least some what correct. Yes she is equally responsible whether or not she knew they were stealing or not.
You mean...it's ANOTHER point she's right on.

No, true and they are immigrates so if she was not a US citizen and commits a felony level offense then she would be eligible for deportation.
So, it's ANOTHER point she's right on.

To sum it up, Ohiogal was 100% correct.

ETA: What in the heck is an immigrate?

Silverplum

I don't know whether you've fallen and hit your poor head, or what.

You, Zigner and Ohio whatever need to get off message forums, and go read some law books. The law is very specific in regards to juvenile records and laws related to diversion programs. It even spells this out as a legal manner to have never occurred, so if you are arguing that she would need to report these items when she enters a plea into a diversion program then you and anyone that agrees with you would be wrong. Another reason why I joined this forum is to inform the misinformed. The law is not written in the way you all try to interpret it, it is open to changes and encourages rehabilitation. If she is under 18 and enters a diversion program then this is a "manner of law" as to have never happened or occurred it is stricken from her record (unlike you all seem to wish it was not) and it as if it never happened. If that sits wrong with you, your egos or whatever agenda you all tend to push here then I am sorry. You and all your followers would be wrong at the same time.

Silverplum

You, Zigner and Ohio whatever need to get off message forums, and go read some law books. The law is very specific in regards to juvenile records and laws related to diversion programs. It even spells this out as a legal manner to have never occurred, so if you are arguing that she would need to report these items when she enters a plea into a diversion program then you and anyone that agrees with you would be wrong. Another reason why I joined this forum is to inform the misinformed. The law is not written in the way you all try to interpret it, it is open to changes and encourages rehabilitation. If she is under 18 and enters a diversion program then this is a "manner of law" as to have never happened or occurred it is stricken from her record (unlike you all seem to wish it was not) and it as if it never happened. If that sits wrong with you, your egos or whatever agenda you all tend to push here then I am sorry. You and all your followers would be wrong at the same time.
The first response to the poster:
Your daughter is just as guilty as her friends. They are all thieves. If your daughter didn't want to be involved with their stealing, she should have not gone into the store with them. It might be possible for some sort of diversion program but prepare for the fact that she might face a civil demand which is allowable under the law. In addition, she will most likely be banned from this Amusement Park -- maybe even for life. Doesn't matter how good they were in the past -- they are thieves. They broke the law. Most likely this is not the first time they stole but rather the first time they got caught.

In additional to criminal penalties and civil penalties, she also needs to realize that she may have issues with college acceptances, getting a job in retail or other employment that requires trust and various other things. Your daughter screwed up. You weren't there so you can't say what she did or did not do.
It's okay if you just go for a nice walk, get some air.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are the one who is wrong:
http://www.theftdatabase.com/
Her name goes into that because she is a thief. It doesn't matter she is an underage thief. It can be used in hiring decisions. Should I continue? It won't be stricken from there when she turns 18.
And whether or not it is stricken from her record that doesn't mean she won't have to account for it in some professions. And it doesn't mean she won't have to admit to pleading guilty to theft on college applications. In order to qualify for diversion programs you have to admit your wrongdoing. You are really ignorant. As for law books? Read several. Enough in fact that I am licensed to practice. What say you?

Oh for the application to sit for the bar, I had to admit to any criminal acts that I plead guilty even if they were expunged or sealed. I had to account for ALL traffic violations. I had to account for any bad acts and put them all down. So yeah, junior miss may very well have to face the collateral consequences of this for a long time.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sealing/expungement of juvenile records is NOT automatic in PA (contrary to Redemptionman's whining)

(I have no affiliation with any of the following)

http://www.jlc.org/resources/fact-sheets/expungement-pennsylvania

http://research.lawyers.com/Pennsylvania/Pennsylvania-Expungement-and-Record-Sealing.html

http://www.modelsforchange.net/newsroom/152

You are the one who is wrong:
http://www.theftdatabase.com/
Her name goes into that because she is a thief. It doesn't matter she is an underage thief. It can be used in hiring decisions. Should I continue? It won't be stricken from there when she turns 18.
And whether or not it is stricken from her record that doesn't mean she won't have to account for it in some professions. And it doesn't mean she won't have to admit to pleading guilty to theft on college applications. In order to qualify for diversion programs you have to admit your wrongdoing. You are really ignorant. As for law books? Read several. Enough in fact that I am licensed to practice. What say you?

Oh for the application to sit for the bar, I had to admit to any criminal acts that I plead guilty even if they were expunged or sealed. I had to account for ALL traffic violations. I had to account for any bad acts and put them all down. So yeah, junior miss may very well have to face the collateral consequences of this for a long time.
You wish, I have known several juvenile delinquents who are 6 figure level execs with major companies some even multi- millionaires. You are really not responsible if you are posting links to sites that have that information. You do realize that if she enters into a diversion program and sites like the one which you just posted then she has civil claims against them and ANYONE reporting that information? right? I could care less if you went to an ABA school or the virgin isle tech school for lawyers online, you should know what the benefits of diversion and expungement programs are and what they do. I know several lawyers with felony charges that have been convicted of lesser misdemeanors and still practice so whatever trip you are on, you really need to real it in some.

Silverplum

It's such a shame that you fell and hit your poor head.

You wish, I have known several juvenile delinquents who are 6 figure level execs with major companies some even multi- millionaires. You are really not responsible if you are posting links to sites that have that information. You do realize that if she enters into a diversion program and sites like the one which you just posted then she has civil claims against them and ANYONE reporting that information? right? I could care less if you went to an ABA school or the virgin isle tech school for lawyers online, you should know what the benefits of diversion and expungement programs are and what they do. I know several lawyers with felony charges that have been convicted of lesser misdemeanors and still practice so whatever trip you are on, you really need to real it in some.

TigerD

Setting aside all of the horror stories let's get down to what you need to do to protect your daughter.

1. Get an attorney immediately.
2. If you can't afford one, apply for a public defender.

You don't know what the evidence is. Your daughter may be telling the truth. She may not. Do not allow her to talk to anyone about this without an attorney.
Wait to see what the evidence is.

And remember: What actually happened is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is what they can prove.

DC

Last edited:
It's such a shame that you fell and hit your poor head.
It is such a shame that you, Ohgal (who claim's to be a lawyer), and Zigner do not have a freaking clue about what you are talking about. That is what the shame is.

although I think I know the approach you are taking, if it is the criminal liability side before she is adjudicated then you would be correct but the chances are 99% that she enters into a diversion program so she really should not have to face any of the penalties associated with the conviction if it remains off her record.

Last edited:

dave33

My daughter and her 2 friends were arrested for shoplifting in Amusements park gift shop(PA) They went to the gift shop 2 times. During first visit my daughter did not know her friends were stealing. After they come out - her friends showed her stolen merchandise. A bit later they wanted to go back to the store to get some candy. 2 girls were discussing whether or not to take something else. My daughter said - "don't do it", and they decided "Let's go get some candy" They went in, bought some food and 2 girls stole more items. They went out from the store together and were approached by security guard. Value of stolen merchandise was 67 dollars. All items were in one of my daughters friends purse. My daughter and the other girl had nothing on them. According to a security guard - my daughter and the other girl were passing merchandise to their friend with the purse to hide. The girl are 15 years old, NY residents, no prior troubles. Now we got a court date in Magisterial District Court. Don't know what to expect. Is there any way to keep her record clean?
Each girl has a different story.... This is my daughters

When you say arrested, you mean that the security guard called the police and they were detained and arrested?

Now, if your daughter was not caught concealing anything or trying to walk out of the store w/out paying than you/she has a good chance.

The judge/magistrate may offer a very good deal in order to resolve the issue that day. The two of you will have to show up and go from there. goodluck.

Ladyback1

the word is REEL!

I'm not trying to be the grammar police, but anyone who wants to argue a point should at the very least spell check/grammar check said arguments before posting. Especially if a person are going to be condescending or rude or nasty.
Making simple spelling errors makes the person look less educated (thus their post is not taken as seriously), or makes the person look lazy (thus their post is not taken as seriously).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">