• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My truck was vandalized and cops cant pin it

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quentin

British Columbia, Canada

My truck was recently vandalized by a 15 yr old. He smashed out both my windows and attempted to drive it off the property, i dont have insurance on the truck because i dont have the money to insure it. He told the police that he smashed out one window and thats all he would pay for, even though he admitted he had done it all to me. The cops don't have any hard evidence against him, and they tell me im out of luck, but the damages will probably top $1000 and i dont have any money, and furthermore i dont believe he should get away with the crime. How can I make him pay for all the damages?

CdwJava

quentin said:
British Columbia, Canada

My truck was recently vandalized by a 15 yr old. He smashed out both my windows and attempted to drive it off the property, i dont have insurance on the truck because i dont have the money to insure it. He told the police that he smashed out one window and thats all he would pay for, even though he admitted he had done it all to me. The cops don't have any hard evidence against him, and they tell me im out of luck, but the damages will probably top $1000 and i dont have any money, and furthermore i dont believe he should get away with the crime. How can I make him pay for all the damages?
I'm not sure of the laws in Canada (and this forum is for US law only), but in the USA you could take him to small claims court and sue him there as the burden of proof is greatly diminished in civil court.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">