• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

NC: Is 16 A Legal Age to Leave?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AmandaLG

What is the name of your state?North Carolina:

Hi, Im currently 15 years old and i have been planning on leaving my home that i live in with my mother for a while now but i understand that im not quite old enough yet. My friends tell me that i can leave as soon as i turn 16 years old, but my mother and my brother and my father all tell me that i can only leave at the age of 18 when i am considered an adult. I keep getting different answers from everyone because some people tell me that in North Carolina, a teenager 16 yrs or older is considered an adult. I have looked on a series of web sites but i still cant find the information. Well, if i can leave when i turn 16, do i have to inform my parents of where i will be staying or who i will be staying with? And will they be able to have the cops search for me if i dont tell her where i will be staying? Thank you for your time and help! (I need it!!)

Amanda

P.S. I have also been wondering if it is legal for a 16 year old and an 18 year old to have a relation ship?

CdwJava

Even in NC you are NOT an adult until you are 18. You leave, they can have the police bring you back. How hard the police will search is a question I can't answer. But, if you get entered into "the system" as a runaway, you will eventually be found and returned home. In fact, in most states, being out of control (i.e. a runaway) can be considered a criminal offense.

So, you had best consider ALL the ramifications of your actions.

And since you are in a relationship with an adult (likely unlawful if there is sex or fondling involved), I suspect THAT is the reason you really want to leave.

- Carl

AmandaLG

Ok, thanks for the information...but no its not because of another person. That question was mostly for a friend's sake. I feel that i probably need to get out of my mother's home mostly because of her problems. She is racist and very strict on me even though she put me in a school system that is has a majority of black students. I am a respectful child and i know i should do as my mother has taught me, but my father has taught me not to be discrimative. My mother will not allow me to have any type of relationship with anyone besides my race (not even friends) and doesnt allow me to communicate with anyone out of school. I feel like ive done something wrong but theres nothing i can think of. I know my mom is being protective of me but when i turn 16 i think she should ease up, which she isnt. I guess ill have to tough it out or just try to live with another family member. But thank you again. :(

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">