• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Nc 17 1/2 moving out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Monsterford1989

What is the name of your state? NC

What will NC do if a 17 and a half year old just lives the house without there parents wishes? This person is being mentaly aboused and is not aioud to do anything they want to.. They arent even aloud to get a job. This person dose have a place to move into.

Happy Trails

Monsterford1989 said:
What will NC do if a 17 and a half year old just lives the house without there parents wishes?
Basically you are asking if she can runaway....

She is under parental control until she becomes a legal adult.

Anybody housing a runaway could face various charges for doing so.

Monsterford1989

Poor mentally abused teenager... not allowed to do anything they want.

I seriously doubt the State will allow the minor to do this, against their parents' wishes, even if he does have a place to move to.

Said minor seems unable to even put together a coherent sentence, or pass a third grade spelling test... let alone support themselves independently.
The way poeple write dose not say if they can support themselve.... You need to which what u say becouse some people cant help that they cant spell... I have a read and writind disablity... But it dosent stop me form being able to support myself and work. I actuly support my grandma and me at my house and go to school. Im looking this up for my friend becouse she cant.

CdwJava

The court is not likely to let her move out and stay with her girlfriend. If she is unable to support herself and complete school at the same time, no court is likely to allow this.

here is what the NC courts have to consider:

§ 7B‑3504. Considerations for emancipation.

In determining the best interests of the petitioner and the need for emancipation, the court shall review the following considerations:

(1) The parental need for the earnings of the petitioner;
(2) The petitioner's ability to function as an adult;
(3) The petitioner's need to contract as an adult or to marry;
(4) The employment status of the petitioner and the stability of the petitioner's living arrangements;
(5) The extent of family discord which may threaten reconciliation of the petitioner with the petitioner's family;
(6) The petitioner's rejection of parental supervision or support; and
(7) The quality of parental supervision or support. (1979, c. 815, s. 1; 1998‑202, s. 6.)

For more information, here is the law:

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/ByArticle/Chapter_7B/Article_35.html

- Carl

Just Blue

The way poeple write dose not say if they can support themselve.... You need to which what u say becouse some people cant help that they cant spell... I have a read and writind disablity... But it dosent stop me form being able to support myself and work. I actuly support my grandma and me at my house and go to school. Im looking this up for my friend becouse she cant.
I have severe Dyslexia and am a TERRIBLE speller, but I have the brains to utilize the spell-check option in the response box....:rolleyes:

Is your disability such that YOU can't click on spell-check?

mluscahas

Well, I know according to michigan law. I can't speak for NC, but I think what I am about to speak on is also a federal matter ;).

Person reaching age 17 is an adult in court

Michigan uses this to dictate that any person who reaches the age of 17 is free to move out if they wish, it doesn't matter.

Emancipation is for when you wish to have parental rights terminated (i.e. divorce your parents) and is for 16 and younger. You would then be considered a "legal adult", with the exceptions of buying cigs, and your favorite drinks ;).

My recommendation: Call the police department, (non-emergency), if you wish you can even use a payphone. When they answer and ask if they can help you, just ask them "Hi yes im looking for some information. A person who is 17, are they free to move out if they wish ?" Then you will know for sure.

Oh btw, if you get firefox it will automatically spell check when you enter text into boxes ;)

CdwJava

mluscahas said:
Well, I know according to michigan law. I can't speak for NC, but I think what I am about to speak on is also a federal matter ;).
Actually, no. Age of majority is a state issue. As is emancipation, running away, and mandatory schooling.

Person reaching age 17 is an adult in court
Not in every state, and not for every crime.

Michigan uses this to dictate that any person who reaches the age of 17 is free to move out if they wish, it doesn't matter.
What?? Michigan's age of majority is 18 ... further, they can only be emancipated without the order of a court in the following situations:

In Michigan, there are 4 ways a minor can be emancipated without a court order. These are referred to as "emancipation by operation of law." A minor is automatically emancipated:

1) when validly married;
2) when reaching the age of 18 years;
3) during the period when the minor is on active duty with the armed forces; and
4) for the purposes of consenting to routine, nonsurgical medical care or emergency medical treatment when the minor is in the custody of a law enforcement agency and the minor's parent or guardian cannot be promptly located. This last emancipation ends upon the termination of medical care or treatment or upon the minor's release from custody, whichever occurs first.

My recommendation: Call the police department, (non-emergency), if you wish you can even use a payphone. When they answer and ask if they can help you, just ask them "Hi yes im looking for some information. A person who is 17, are they free to move out if they wish ?" Then you will know for sure.
Maybe. But you will find that not everyone answering the phone at a police department is entirely knowledgeable in these areas. Best way would be to seek the answer with the Family Court. But, since this is pretty clear black letter law in most states (NC and MI included), it should be unnecessary.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">