• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Advice: Minor running away from home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PrettyinRock

What is the name of your state?
Missouri.

I am having a lot of problems at my house. I am 16 years old and I live with my father and my step mother; over a year ago my mother past away. My father started dating and eventually married said stepmom. He originally started dating her, though, only after three weeks post mother's death.

Since the marriage, I have moved with them to Independence, MO. I started going to a new school, new friends- the whole new deal.

For over a year I have been dating my boyfriend, we'll call him Bob. My family really likes him (as to I). He has become my life, my everything. It's not just some kind of puppy love. I want to move out and live with him now. I am a very mature and smart young adult and I can realize when my home situations are not something I want. I am not happy here.

That is my story completely wrapped in a tight nutshell.

I need to know the Missouri laws on being a minor, moving out of said parent's home, being emancipated, and juveniles running away from home. Please help if you can.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You can move out free and clear at 18. Until then, you are under your father's care and control. Depending on your boyfriend's age, if you should decide to run away to be with him (and stay with him or him/his parents), then both he and potentially his parents can be brought up on a variety of charges - especially if state lines would be crossed.

PrettyinRock

Should I do it?

Bob (said boyfriend) will be twenty this month. If he lives in this state, and I leave my home to live with him without parental permission, what will happen?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Well, for starters, age of consent in MO is 17. So if you're having sex with him, he could be charged with statutory rape (or whichever verbiage MO uses for that offense) - a conviction for that could land him with the label of sexual offender for the rest of his life. Yippee! Wouldn't that be special?

Then, whether you're having sex or not, he could be charged with contributing to the delinquency of a minor, harboring a runaway, and so on.

In other words - he'd be in deep $hit.

PrettyinRock

Thanks.

Well, this really sucks. My life living here just is not worth it. (There's so much crap that...I just don't know.) I dont want to go to court, but I want to leave. Even if I got parental permission, would living with "Bob" in Missouri, being age 17 at the time, would that be illegal?

P.s. Not having sex- I'm smart enough to wait -wink-

brniis37

At what point did you stop loving your father? Why is it not worth living at home anymore? How are you going to support yourself outside of the home? I have a daughter who is almost 16 and she has had a great life but chooses to ignore all the good and do exaclty the opposite. I do not see a bright future. Being 16 isn't that bad and if you really love this "Bob" then isn't dealing with your family okay for just a bit longer until you are old enough to leave without having any legal or moral issues?

PrettyinRock

Loving him

I stopped loving my father on the day he chose my stepmom over me. No, my stepmom and me are not equal. It is always about her and making her happy and it is not about me.

Bob, however,brings me happiness. (No, I am not having sex with him. We are remaining abstinent.) I tell myself to just wait 2 more years, until I'm 18, but like everyone says- it's easier said than done.

I know that he would take care of me. He has a job getting $13 an hour and I am definately smart enough to get a job and work. I am a 4.0 student-- I can do it.

Is there any way that I could live with him legally with father's permission?

tigger22472

PrettyinRock said:
Technically, what is the definition of a runaway?
The police will tell you that any time you are somewhere your parent's don't know about OR don't approve of you can be considered a runaway. SO, even if you moved in with 'Bob' and they knew about it and told you that you were to return home you would still be considered a runaway.

brniis37

If you marry him you can. Your father only has to sign the papers given his consent for mariage and that would be the only way.

PrettyinRock

Your daughter

I read about your 'out of control teen'. A lot of teenagers (I know) do that crap. It's sad and pathetic and they are ruining their lives and consequently wasting your money. I am in the situation where my sisters have taken large sums of my father's money. I stayed though, I had to, so I'm the "good daughter".

The question I post to you: Why don't you just let the girl go?

needhelpnow111

PrettyinRock said:
I know that he would take care of me. He has a job getting $13 an hour and I am definately smart enough to get a job and work. I am a 4.0 student-- I can do it.
WOAH... 13 dollars an hour!!! That's a whopping 27,000 dollars a year! You'll be soooo well off.

My advice: Go visit your school counselor and ask him or her to give you a list of places to call to get some counseling. Talk to your dad about your feelings and make sure he understands it, WHILE STILL LISTENING TO HIM. Wait until you've graduated your high school to move out, then get yourself into a good college. Don't waste that 4-0 on a minimum-wage job.

ENASNI

Otay Buckwheat

Yo Pretty
My daughter had a problem with her stepmom too, but she did not have the grief you have with your mother passing. I am so sorry for your loss.

You are very young so can't realize you are transferring every emotion to your young man.

You Dad probably is grieving too, and who knows why he rushed in..
Sometimes Fools rush in... but you should be happy he is happy.

Now the tough stuff.
Lovey,
Just read this post... Oh... where did I put it... It was here a minute ago.

Hold on.... hummm something from Greenday or something I will be right back....

UP! got it! sorry for the delay. :eek:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=214000

kpepperz

PrettyinRock said:
The question I post to you: Why don't you just let the girl go?
Because parents have this funny thing about trying to help their kids, and we have a way of knowing what is in their best interests. That's why.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">