• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Help A.s.a.p!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shawty2c04

What is the name of your state? Illinios.

I just turned 17 this past September of 2006. In the month of June before that, I was living in Indiana, and my step-father was drinking one night and physically abused my mother for the third time. My father came from Illinios and made me leave my mom, and basically my life, behind. I never really went back because he wouldn't let me. He thinks my mom is into drugs and is an alcoholic, which she is not. He went through the courts and moved me out here, not completely against my will, but he wouldn't stop asking me to so I finally gave in. I just started my new school in August, and have hated living out here ever since. I want to move back with my mother so badly, but my dad won't let me go. Is there any way around it? I just got a job, so I could save up and pay for lawyer's fees and such...I can't wait until I'm 18, I just can't seem to adapt to this place. It's affecting my emotions in such a negative way... I really need advice on how to do this, there has to be some way to get around it. If someone out there could help me out on what to do, I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.What is the name of your state?

shawty2c04

My mom says that since I had a terminated pregnancy this year I might be considered an adult in the courts...is this true? And if so, would I be able to move back in with her?

weenor

My mom says that since I had a terminated pregnancy this year I might be considered an adult in the courts...is this true? And if so, would I be able to move back in with her?
No your right to obtain an abortion does not translate into emancipation.

CdwJava

In fact, the pregnancy tends to play against you for the possibility of emancipation as it demonstrates irresponsibility. To be emancipated you would generally need to demonstrate to a court that you are responsible and capable of supporting yourself in all ways.

In Illinois (where you now live) your parents would have to agree (simply by not objecting) to the emancipation. For all the information from Illinois Legal Aid, check the following site:

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.dsp_content&contentID=3221

- Carl

shawty2c04

No the thing is I want to live with my mom again, not be out on my own. She said something about going to file a petition against his, which we're going to try next month. All I was wondering was if there is a way to move back as a minor without him giving his consent, because he refuses to, and I can't convince him otherwise.

Thanks for all the advice so far, I'm trying to find every possible way around this.

CdwJava

If dad has legal and physical custody, mom could face criminal charges if she permits or encourages you to violate the order. If mom can get custody, then that is the way to pursue it. If she can't, then you will just have to muddle through for another year.

Trust me - you'll live.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">