• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Need Some Advice Please (Long Story, Sorry!)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leewasjohn8

What is the name of your state? Florida.

Okay here it goes. On August 9th, 2007 my girlfriend (Marissa) and I went over to my friend Kayla's house. Her friend Dakota was there. Marissa and I do not get along with this girl, who is 16. She was to sit outside and while Kayla, Marissa, and I went inside and talked to Kayla for a few minutes. While we were inside, Dakota was in the backseat of Marissa's car and managed to burn FIFTY-SIX cigarette burns into the Headliner, Back's of both front seats, Side Panels on both back doors, and the Back Seat itself. When we came outside she was still inside the car and we asked her what she was doing. She told us to have a look, so we did. We asked her what her problem was and Dakota stated that her problem was with me, and then she proceeded to punching me in the side of my ear/head. We then got into Marissa's car and drove off.

We were going to settle this civily since Dakota said she had a way to get the money. And she said that she didn't want her father to know or the cops involved. So we went immediatly after the incident to get some estimates on the damages done to her car. When she informed us she thought these were overpriced we contacted her father. Her father went over to Kayla's house where Dakota still was and Kayla and Dakota told her father a different story from the truth. He then contacted Marissa and told her that his lawyer would be calling her sometime and that he would like to take pictures of her car on August 12th, 2007.

After a long day and not getting anywhere we called the police station that night, (still 08/09/2007). The police officer told us to come file a report in the following day since we were both tired from work, etcetc and this happened in a different county. So we did that on August 10th. We talked to a police officer and filed out a report. We wanted to press charges for Vandalism and for Assualt. The cop took pictures, and questioned us, etc. She told us she was going to go to Dakota's house and question her and that if she admitted to either charge she would be arrested right then and there.

So we went home after giving the police our statements, the estimates of damages done, and the "MySpace" bulletins Dakota posted admitting she burned the car and "kicked ass".

Now it is August 11th, 2007 and we were informed today that Dakota was not arrested, that she told the police officer that she DID in fact burn the car but that Marissa was not at the house during the event. I do not have my license and Marissa would not let me drive her car illegally, therefore this being a false story. So the police officer told us that it was Kayla and Dakota saying Marissa was not there VS. Myself and Marissa saying that we were.

So as of right now it is a "he said, she said" type of situation. But what i'm not understanding is what does it matter what story she gives the cop or anyone else? She admitted to causing $1,400 of damage to Marissa's car and punching me in the head. Why would she not be charged and arrested for the crimes she committed?

We have a meeting at the State Attorney's office now, on Tuesday August 14th, 2007. The cop didn't inform us what to bring or what this was for, the only thing she informed us was that she did not know who to believe and that we had this appointment.

So can anyone tell me why this girl was not arrested for the crimes that she committed and what is going to happen at the State Attorney's office and if we need to bring any of the paperwork or pictures, or any such thing like that. And what you think will happen of this case and if Marissa's car will be fixed.

Note: Kayla and Dakota are both 16, I am 17, and Marissa is 19. If that matters. And it happened in Pinellas County, Florida.

Thank you in advance!

FlyingRon

You need to start a civil action for the damages. As important as a crime seems to you, it's not your decision to make as to whether they proceed with the criminal prosecution.

leewasjohn8

The cop who filed our police report told us we were not allowed to do anything through civil court until all of the criminal offences were dealt with. Was this true?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">