• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbors children are trying to physically attack my child.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TRSargent

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Hello. We are having a serious issue with the tenants that rent the house next to us. They have three children, 7, 14, and 16. The two older boys were barred from our house after my husband and I caught them smoking, we believe it was marijuana on the train tracks. We told our son (14) that he is not allowed to hang out at there house and they were not allowed to come here. He agreed and told the fourteen year old boy at school the next day that he was not allowed to be friends with him anymore. Since that day we have had nothing but problems with the two boys and our son. The oldest one came to our house the day after it happened with the intention of beating up our son, his father told him to leave and went over to their house within minutes to tell the parents that they are not welcomed here, that it is our home and we decide who gets to come here, and that he better never come to our home again with the intentions of doing physical harm to our son. After that incident it got quiet for a while, and then they got a dirt bike. They were riding it unsupervised, tearing up our law, damaged our landscaping, and the parents were not watching them. We put up a no trespassing sign on both of our big trees where they were riding the dirtbike to keep them off of our lawn. A few days after we put the sign up the older boy got into an accident on the dirt bike and broke his leg, again he was not being supervised and was not wearing protective equipment, so my neighbor called the landlord and told him what was going on. Well apparently they thought it was us and all hell broke loose with the two boys and my son. The 14 year old started trying to pick a fight with him on the bus on his way to football practice and was trying to goad him into hitting him so that they could get into a fight. My son called me as soon as he got off of the bus to tell me what happened and both my husband and I went to the school and we were able to get his bus switched. We again went to the parents and told them that enough was enough, it was our decision not to let the boys hang out anymore, and that threatening him and trying to physically attack him were not appropriate and that we wanted them to keep their child away from ours.

Yesterday was the last straw, my husband and I are both fed up and we do not know what to do. The 14 year old boy is in the same gym class as my son. Yesterday he started calling my son a ******, and threatening him and my son finally had it, he told him to shut up get away from him and back off. So the 14 year old gets in his face and tells him "if you don't come to my house after school and fight me, I am coming to yours." After school when my son was at football practice, the 14 and 16 year old were at my house looking for him, ringing our doorbell, banging on our door, telling my husband to send our son outside. My husband told him he was not home and they aren't welcomed at our home and to leave immediately. They started telling my husband to tell our son to "stop talking ****," and my husband again told them to leave. When our son came home from football that is when we found out that the 14 year old told him he was coming here to fight him. We told our son that he was wrong to start yelling back when the 14 year old was trying to pick a fight with him at school, and that he should have just walked away.

This is the second time that these boys have come to our home with the intention of physically attacking our son and we are at our wits end. We are hesitant to go to the police because we do not know what they will do or if they can do anything since this is a he said/he said situation, and also because we are afraid that if we go the police, the situation will turn even more volatile. As it stands right now we don't even want either one of our children in the yard alone because we have no idea what the boys will do if they see either one of them alone. It is clear that posting no trespassing signs and telling their parents that they are not allowed at our house does not work. What can we do to protect our son?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

Hello. We are having a serious issue with the tenants that rent the house next to us. They have three children, 7, 14, and 16. The two older boys were barred from our house after my husband and I caught them smoking, we believe it was marijuana on the train tracks. We told our son (14) that he is not allowed to hang out at there house and they were not allowed to come here. He agreed and told the fourteen year old boy at school the next day that he was not allowed to be friends with him anymore. Since that day we have had nothing but problems with the two boys and our son. The oldest one came to our house the day after it happened with the intention of beating up our son, his father told him to leave and went over to their house within minutes to tell the parents that they are not welcomed here, that it is our home and we decide who gets to come here, and that he better never come to our home again with the intentions of doing physical harm to our son. After that incident it got quiet for a while, and then they got a dirt bike. They were riding it unsupervised, tearing up our law, damaged our landscaping, and the parents were not watching them. We put up a no trespassing sign on both of our big trees where they were riding the dirtbike to keep them off of our lawn. A few days after we put the sign up the older boy got into an accident on the dirt bike and broke his leg, again he was not being supervised and was not wearing protective equipment, so my neighbor called the landlord and told him what was going on. Well apparently they thought it was us and all hell broke loose with the two boys and my son. The 14 year old started trying to pick a fight with him on the bus on his way to football practice and was trying to goad him into hitting him so that they could get into a fight. My son called me as soon as he got off of the bus to tell me what happened and both my husband and I went to the school and we were able to get his bus switched. We again went to the parents and told them that enough was enough, it was our decision not to let the boys hang out anymore, and that threatening him and trying to physically attack him were not appropriate and that we wanted them to keep their child away from ours.

Yesterday was the last straw, my husband and I are both fed up and we do not know what to do. The 14 year old boy is in the same gym class as my son. Yesterday he started calling my son a ******, and threatening him and my son finally had it, he told him to shut up get away from him and back off. So the 14 year old gets in his face and tells him "if you don't come to my house after school and fight me, I am coming to yours." After school when my son was at football practice, the 14 and 16 year old were at my house looking for him, ringing our doorbell, banging on our door, telling my husband to send our son outside. My husband told him he was not home and they aren't welcomed at our home and to leave immediately. They started telling my husband to tell our son to "stop talking ****," and my husband again told them to leave. When our son came home from football that is when we found out that the 14 year old told him he was coming here to fight him. We told our son that he was wrong to start yelling back when the 14 year old was trying to pick a fight with him at school, and that he should have just walked away.

This is the second time that these boys have come to our home with the intention of physically attacking our son and we are at our wits end. We are hesitant to go to the police because we do not know what they will do or if they can do anything since this is a he said/he said situation, and also because we are afraid that if we go the police, the situation will turn even more volatile. As it stands right now we don't even want either one of our children in the yard alone because we have no idea what the boys will do if they see either one of them alone. It is clear that posting no trespassing signs and telling their parents that they are not allowed at our house does not work. What can we do to protect our son?
Call the police. If you don't want to do that, then you can either wait until they move or you can move yourselves.

Ladyback1

So...your child is being bullied at school. Your son is being bullied at home. Your son has been threatened with bodily harm---and yet you are hesitant to contact law enforcement???

Really???:confused::eek::confused::eek:

CdwJava

I suspect that the reluctance may be because their son may not be entirely innocent in all of this. It has been my experience (as a parent, teacher, and cop) that these matters often have no truly innocent victim. Very often both parties are dancing even if they are not admitting it to mom and dad.

@TRSargent, if these kids come to your house causing a disturbance - call the cops. Once that happens they may very well back off. Until then, they will continue to believe that you are full of hot air when you make the idle threat and may well continue to come to your home and harass your son. And, if your son is being harassed at school or on his way to or from school, he (or you) need to report it to the school - and maybe the police as well.However, if your son is giving is good as he is getting, he may also get in trouble. This is a discussion you may want to have with your son before you start reporting things to the school.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">