• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Niece is getting thrown out?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rodpoo

What is the name of your state? Colorado
My 16 year old niece keeps getting thrown out of her house by her parents. I have several questions. She wants to live with her Aunt and I, but we don't want her to get in trouble for being classified as a runaway. Also, her parents use her as free maid-service and childcare for her 8 and 10 year old brothers, so they always want her to come back home after a couple of days, which I find as abusive. I don't want her living on the streets and dropping out of school just because she doesn't have a home, but I don't want to get my family in loads of legal trouble trying to help. Emancipation is not an option since the will not allow her to work steadily or keep any money she makes.What is the name of your state?

CdwJava

My 16 year old niece keeps getting thrown out of her house by her parents.
Do you know this to be a fact? Or, are you basing this solely upon her allegations?

She wants to live with her Aunt and I, but we don't want her to get in trouble for being classified as a runaway.
Good thought. Harboring a runaway is never a good thing.

Also, her parents use her as free maid-service and childcare for her 8 and 10 year old brothers, so they always want her to come back home after a couple of days, which I find as abusive.
Again, do you know they think of her as a maid and babysitter? Or, is that HER opinion.

Note that it is not abusive to have an older child help with chores or watching their siblings. In some families this is just how it is. If they are keeping her out of school to watch the kids or scrub the floors, I might agree with you. But, if they are simply limiting her freedoms until chores are done, or asking her to watch her siblings now and then, it's hardly an abusive situation.

What exactly IS the situation?

If she is being abused or neglected, the proper avenue would be to report it to the police or CPS (or Colorado's equivalent).

- Carl

rodpoo

Fact. She is free child-care etc. Pulled out of school to take care of her brothers because mom had things to do. The main piece of this question is, "If they throw her out again, can we legally take her in?"

CdwJava

Fact. She is free child-care etc. Pulled out of school to take care of her brothers because mom had things to do. The main piece of this question is, "If they throw her out again, can we legally take her in?"
Not really, no.

Without her parents' permission, they can make your life very difficult. Depending on the laws in your state, you could find yourself on the wrong end of prosecution.

If they are pulling her out of school to watch the other children (which is odd since the other children at ages 8 and 10 should also be in school), call the police or CPS. The only legal way to handle neglect issues is through the proper authorities.

- Carl

Silverplum

If they are pulling her out of school to watch the other children (which is odd since the other children at ages 8 and 10 should also be in school), call the police or CPS. The only legal way to handle neglect issues is through the proper authorities.
Seconded on both the advice and the oddness. Especially the oddness. ;)

At her age, she's old enough to seek help from live humans. Tell her to do so, if you don't call CPS.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state? Colorado
My 16 year old niece keeps getting thrown out of her house by her parents. I have several questions. She wants to live with her Aunt and I,
Is this your wife's niece (your stepniece) or your niece. Either way you are a legal stranger but lets be specific shall we?

but we don't want her to get in trouble for being classified as a runaway. Also, her parents use her as free maid-service and childcare for her 8 and 10 year old brothers, so they always want her to come back home after a couple of days, which I find as abusive.
Nope. That is NOT abusive. It could be considered giving the child CHORES. Responsibilities. Partaking in the family.

I don't want her living on the streets and dropping out of school just because she doesn't have a home,
So she is still in school?

but I don't want to get my family in loads of legal trouble trying to help. Emancipation is not an option since the will not allow her to work steadily or keep any money she makes.

Well considering you are concerned about your wife's ex having sex when his children are there you have a lot of legal issues springing up that you are trying to insert yourself in. You really should NOT be intruding here unless you have EVIDENCE that the child is abused, neglected or dependent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">