• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No law School

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CEConcerned

What is the name of your state? IL

Please advise. about 8-9 years ago I was caught shoplifting with a friend. I definately have responsibiltiy in that situation, but it was my first and only run in with the law. Now I am thiinking about applying to law school and need to disclose the information. I have been having a very difficult time finding realistic information about my chances for law school, as well as how to define my case. Here are more details:

- Wore unpaid clothing out of store. Not sure how they caught us, but it might have been a hunch, not sure if they had video cameras in the dressing rooms.
- Brought to room in store, removed clothing, and waited for police.
- Brought to station, warned, parents picked up.
- I didn't have to appear in court, didn't have to pay a fine, not required to do community service, nor attend a seminar.
- I may have been put on probation

Questions:
- Was I ever charged for anything? (i.e. misdemeanor)

- How are these proceeding typically documented? (I tried to obtain my records, but was informed I couldn't do so without a lawyer/court order)

- I did ROTC for a year in college and disclosed to them, they didn't find any information and the local police department did not comment. (I called the local police department and they told me their policy was not to disclose to schools or even the bar, unless they press the issue)

So far in the years after the instance I have a extensive record of community service, good employment history, good grades, and decent LSAT score (going to apply to #50-100 ranked law schools). I wonder how much this small mistake will prevent my acceptance into law school and/or bar?

Please advise. I am so concerned!!!!!

HappyHusband

CEConcerned said:

Please advise. about 8-9 years ago I was caught shoplifting with a friend. I definately have responsibiltiy in that situation, but it was my first and only run in with the law. Now I am thiinking about applying to law school and need to disclose the information. I have been having a very difficult time finding realistic information about my chances for law school, as well as how to define my case. Here are more details:

- Wore unpaid clothing out of store. Not sure how they caught us, but it might have been a hunch, not sure if they had video cameras in the dressing rooms.
- I didn't have to appear in court, didn't have to pay a fine, not required to do community service, nor attend a seminar.

Questions:

- How are these proceeding typically documented? (I tried to obtain my records, but was informed I couldn't do so without a lawyer/court order)

- I did ROTC for a year in college and disclosed to them, they didn't find any information and the local police department did not comment. (I called the local police department and they told me their policy was not to disclose to schools or even the bar, unless they press the issue)

So far in the years after the instance I have a extensive record of community service, good employment history, good grades, and decent LSAT score (going to apply to #50-100 ranked law schools). I wonder how much this small mistake will prevent my acceptance into law school and/or bar?

First, you need to find out exactly what happened. Ask your parents, the DA, the arresting policeman, the judge.

You need this correct info for when you explain on your application how you messed up when you were younger.

If you can honestly explain what happened and how you "turned your life around", then the ROTC, community service and good grades should be able to "cancel out" your previous misdemeanoring and rambuctiousness, in the eyes of the admissions council.

seniorjudge

CEConcerned said:

Questions:

Considering some of the lawyers in Illinois, I don't think any kind of criminal is denied a law license in the Land of Lincoln.

garrula lingua

HaHa SJ ...

OP: You say 'run in with the law' ... how ?
Did you ever appear in court ?
Were you given a ticket ?
Did a cop speak with you ? then, give you a ride in the patrol car ?
Did the cops take your picture and fingerprints ?
What happened ?

CEConcerned

More details

Thanks for everyone's responses, this is very helpful....

Response to the posting for more details.

OP: You say 'run in with the law' ... how ? I was arrested for shoplifting (walked wearing unpaid clothing, underneath my clothes)

Did you ever appear in court ? No did not appear in court and was not asked to ever appear in court for this incident. Nor did I server community service for this event. I may have been on a 6 month probation, but I need to check.

Were you given a ticket ?
Was not given a ticket at the time of the arrest. Could they have mailed it to me?

Did a cop speak with you ? then, give you a ride in the patrol car ?
I was handcuffed and taken to the police station in a patrol car from the store. I think at the station we were interrogated by a junveile detective (not in policeman uniform).

NO pictures. I have to check on the fingerprinting, I don't think so at this point

What happened ? [ I will expand from my post]

- Shoplifting at store, walked around mall (didn't shoplift at another location)
- Security from the store found us and dragged us back to the store.
- Brought to room in store confronted by the security and asked to give back clothes that we wore out. We removed clothing and waited for police.
- Police came, cuffed us and brought to station in the back of the squad car
- Warned by another detective (not in policeman uniform - parent was present)
- Parent brought back home

garrula lingua

From your facts, you have no record.

You were not booked; you were not cited; you had no court case. (All leave records behind them...)

It sounds like the cops did their own type of informal 'diversion'. They tried to scare you straight.

Cops can't put you on 'probation' - a Judge does, after a plea or a finding of guilt after trial.

I don't think you have anything to worry about.

gawm

CEConcerned said:
NO pictures. I have to check on the fingerprinting, I don't think so at this point
]
How do you not know if you been finger printed or not?:confused: :confused: :confused:
That's not something one would forget or be unsure of.:eek:

CEConcerned

Thanks!

It was such a long time ago (8-9 years ago) and a little tramatic....I am very straight laced except for that incidence. Didn't think it could come back to haunt me like that, I should have taken notes or written in my journal afterwards!

So previously when someone said I have NO RECORD. How would a police officer / the department record this? I am sure it depends, but would it be cited in DETAIL or just say that I have a warning with no details? Would they share this record with law schools and bar?

Thoughts? Thanks for all your help.

garrula lingua

In your situation, I would answer:

Have you ever been charged with a crime ? No (no filing by Prosecutor)
(Have you ever been accused by law enforcement of committing a crime ? Yes)
Have you ever been convicted ? No
Have you ever stolen anything ? Yes

Have you ever been arrested ? trickier - I'd say that was an arrest and release, without charges having been filed. Some may argue a detention, not arrest (but you were not free to leave). Just share the truth.

Hopefully, you were a juvenile, as parents picked up from police station.

I would just be strictly honest and factual with the moral character application. Good luck; I'm sure many lawyers have minor brushes with the law in their past & they breezed through the moral character portion & went on to become excellent lawyers.
Biggest objective - don't lie/color facts (it is the moral app section:D )

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Easy answer to your question: Go to the police station that arrested you or was involved -- ask them for a copy of any reports concerning you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">