• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non Custodial Mother and Emancipation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TeenAngst

We are in Florida and our 17 year old wants to be emacipated to avoid moving with our family. She has lived with us since she was 7, and has had little to no contact with her natural mother who lives in Nebraska. We don't feel it is in her best interest to be emancipated as she is not mature, and has never had to support her self. She works but only part time while she goes to school and has never paid bills. Her mother has lost custody of all three of her children - what has to happen before her mother can sign the emancipation petition?

seniorjudge

You're making the decision.

Tell her she can be emancipated when she's 18 years old and can get a full-time job and support herself 100%.

End of discussion.

Now, go pack.

TeenAngst

Teen Guardian

We are her gaurdians - her mother left her with us when she was seven. We have collected child support for the last 10 years but there has never been a formal custody agreement. The father's where abouts have not been known in over 13 years.

The mother has lost legal custody of two other children. We raised the 17 year old and her oldest sister (20) who is now living in a colleg apt. with our support.

moburkes

You say that you have been collecting child support, but you say there is no legal arrangement. If so, then how are you collecting child support?

TeenAngst

Child Support Enforcement

10 years ago, the child's mother sent her to stay with us for a few months while she got back on her feet. She gave my husband a power of attorney for her daughter then never came back to get her. We applied for child support when it became clear that she had no intention of parenting her child. Once, many years ago the mother talked to her daughter about comming back to live with her, but didn't call again for a few years. We always thougth that if our "daughter" wanted to be reunited with her mother we shoudn't stop her. This is different, if she just wants to call her mother to get a signature so she can live on her own, we don't feel that is in her best interest.

Granted it is hard to move when you are 17, but she has had a good life, and we've supported her in all of her endevors. We'll support her through college financially and with medical - I wish she would talk to her older sister who had the same "I want to move out" attitude as soon as she got a car and a pay check... and quickly changed her mind after a few months of living pay check to pay check.

seniorjudge

10 years ago, the child's mother sent her to stay with us for a few months while she got back on her feet. She gave my husband a power of attorney for her daughter then never came back to get her. We applied for child support when it became clear that she had no intention of parenting her child. Once, many years ago the mother talked to her daughter about comming back to live with her, but didn't call again for a few years. We always thougth that if our "daughter" wanted to be reunited with her mother we shoudn't stop her. This is different, if she just wants to call her mother to get a signature so she can live on her own, we don't feel that is in her best interest.

Granted it is hard to move when you are 17, but she has had a good life, and we've supported her in all of her endevors. We'll support her through college financially and with medical - I wish she would talk to her older sister who had the same "I want to move out" attitude as soon as she got a car and a pay check... and quickly changed her mind after a few months of living pay check to pay check.
Okay, you are not answering the questions.

WHERE is the child support coming from?

HOW did you get it?

Is there a legal guardianship (other than the POA)?

Has the POA expired? (Probably so, but look at it to make sure.)

TeenAngst

Child Support

The State of Washington handles the child support. We lived there when we first had physical custody of the child, at the time we also had legal custody of the child's sister (who is my husband's biological daughter). We reported to the state of Washington that the child lived with us, they attached the mother's wages. When we moved to Florida, Washington Child Support Enforcement continued to manage the child support.

Other than the POA we have no legal document that says she is our ward. We have supplied all of her housing, medical, school fees, and seen to her emotional and physical well being for the last ten years.

To make it even stranger - my husband is on her birth certificate as her biological father, but paternity was disastablished in 1994.

Last edited:

milspecgirl

even if her mom signs the paper, no judge is going to emancipate her. She would have to be living on her own (no roomates), working full time, going to school and doing well, and be providing all of her own necessities - phone, insurance, vehicle, insurance, medical, etc. Just a parental signature is not enough.

TeenAngst

17 Year old wants to be Emancipated

My husband is being transfered this month. We have a short period of time to take advantage of the company's offer to relocate us including paying all of our real estate related relocation expenses. I am planning to stay until the end of the semester with my daughters so they can finish the semester. If our 17 year old demonstrated maturity and we felt it wise to leave her with a friend we would not hesitate to do so. However she is very unreliable and we worry about her getting into trouble. We don't feel it is right to ask anyone else to supervise her or leave her to her own devises.

TeenAngst

Teen Spinning Out of Control

She is a Senior. She is not doing well in her classes, or making an effort to demonstrate that she is responsible enough to be on her own.

She will be 18 in 11 months.

TinkerBelleLuvr

So, you are asking her to move with one semester to go to finishing high school? Is there any family friends that could take her in? I know that I took one in who was in similar situation. You might be in a bargaining position here with her - I'll see if I can find someone for 5 months in exchange for you improving your grades to (fill in the blank here.)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">