• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not my son:

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haggus124

I live in Minnesota. I have full physical custody of my 2 girls and of my ex-wife's son. She signed them all over to me and I made it legal through the court system.

To be absolutely honest the only reason I accepted guardianship of the boy is that I fealt sorry for him. He's 17 now, failing school, no job, no license, in trouble with the law and a major disruption in our lives.

Morally I guess I'm supposed to stand by the kid but when he's telling me to "F" off and shut up I want to toss him out on the street. I'm not weak - I have rules and he receives consequences (hence no license at age 17 because he's failing school). He flat out does not care and everybody else is stupid. My daughters are as well adjusted as they can be with his disruptions in all of our lives.

Can I rescind my guardianship with the courts? Can I just drop him off at his biological mother's home and say "see ya - I'm not dealing with you anymore"? Am I stuck until his 18th birthday?

Minnesota's age of majority is 18 years of age. At that point can I tell the kid he's on his own and not welcome in my house?

Wolflmg

Your probably would be better off waiting until he's 18. then going back into the court system.

It was very noble what you were trying to do for him. You might want to consider looking into consouling or getting him into a program for troubled teens. It seems he has a lot of problems, which probably didn't happen over night. Most teens that act out like this, have had problems growing up. Not that, that was your fault, it sounds like his mother didn't want him and that his real dad is not in the picture.

Another thing that might help is, maybe go on a trip with him a camping trip or something along those lines. Just you and him, sometimes that might help with getting through to trouble teens. To show them that someone does care about their future.

Job Corps

What about enlisting him in Job Corps or talking him into registering for the armed forces. Everyone in his life has abandoned him. In his heart, he's probably waiting for you to do the same. Kicking him out at 18 gets him out of your house, but what kind of life will he have? As his legal guardian, you're able to register him for programs and evaluations.

If I were you, (and I am, in a way... similar situation) I'd lock him in his room, slide wet bread and fresh skives under his door each day and kick him too the curb the very minute he turns 18.

Although the camping or better yet, hunting trip is quite intriguing:rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">