• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Not sure where this belongs, but here I go

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Altema

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

My sister, currently 16 years old, keeps running away from home. I know that she goes to her boyfriend's house. This is about the 5th time she has run away to her boyfriend's house. After her latest runaway, my parents became concerned about their liability for their daugther. My parents are unable to control her, and they are worried if they are still liable for whatever she does. My parents can control and punish her accordingly to what she does, but my sister can always just runaway to her boyfriend's house. I have thought about having my mom call the boyfriend's house and telling his parents to not let my sister over, but I think my sister can still run away to several other friends. So my question is, are my parents still liable? If my parents can't control their daugther, what can they do or what should they do next? Do they just allow her to runaway and comeback as she pleases?

Oh and even if my sister is gone for a couple of days, is she considered a runaway? If so, couldnt the boyfriend's family get in trouble for harboring a runaway?

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:

seniorjudge

Altema said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

My sister, currently 16 years old, keeps running away from home. I know that she goes to her boyfriend's house. This is about the 5th time she has run away to her boyfriend's house. After her latest runaway, my parents became concerned about their liability for their daugther. My parents are unable to control her, and they are worried if they are still liable for whatever she does. My parents can control and punish her accordingly to what she does, but my sister can always just runaway to her boyfriend's house. I have thought about having my mom call the boyfriend's house and telling his parents to not let my sister over, but I think my sister can still run away to several other friends. So my question is, are my parents still liable? If my parents can't control their daugther, what can they do or what should they do next? Do they just allow her to runaway and comeback as she pleases?

Oh and even if my sister is gone for a couple of days, is she considered a runaway? If so, couldnt the boyfriend's family get in trouble for harboring a runaway?

Thanks for your time.

Q: So my question is, are my parents still liable?

A: For what?

Q: If my parents can't control their daugther, what can they do or what should they do next?

A: About what?

Q: Do they just allow her to runaway and comeback as she pleases?

A: How would they stop it?

Q: Oh and even if my sister is gone for a couple of days, is she considered a runaway?

A: By whom?

Q: If so, couldnt the boyfriend's family get in trouble for harboring a runaway?

A: More facts are needed.

Altema

Q: So my question is, are my parents still liable?

A: For what?

Anything that she may do wrong under the law.

Q: If my parents can't control their daugther, what can they do or what should they do next?

A: About what?

Anything? Is there anything my parents should do if they cant control her?

Q: Do they just allow her to runaway and comeback as she pleases?

A: How would they stop it?

This was more of a rhetoric question than a serious one, sorry for that. Just saying if she is uncontrollable, and there is nothing to do, do we just let her runaway and comeback as she pleases.

Q: Oh and even if my sister is gone for a couple of days, is she considered a runaway?

A: By whom?

Under the law? I kinda thought this was a forum about legal advice, so I assumed that I was asking this question in regards to the law.

Q: If so, couldnt the boyfriend's family get in trouble for harboring a runaway?

A: More facts are needed.

Such as? Honestly, I am unsure what other information is needed. My sister runs away and goes to her boyfriend's house and stays there for many days at a time. Whenever she is in a disagreeable situation with my parents, she will runaway and go there.

Thank you for your reply though.

Last edited:
C

cubbiebear

shes still a kid

perhaps a stint in boot camp will straighten your sister out. otherwise, shes on a path that may lead to her having a criminal record. your parents should report her as a runaway every time she leaves, and they will bring her back wether she wants to come or not. they need to start putting their foot down, and act like parents, and stop letting their bratty daughter run the show.

CdwJava

When she runs away, mom and dad need to report her as missing.

They need to tell the boyfriend and his parents that if she shows up there they or the police need to be called immediately or they will request charges against boyfriend and parents for contributing to the delinquency of a minor. And your parents can insist upon a citizen's arrest for this crime (a violation of PC 272) if they desire it.

Your parents can also get a restraining order against the boyfriend.

Other things they can do to try and gain control include family counseling and individual counseling. They can also remove her radio, phone, computer, television, and all goodies in her life. She has no right to a door, designer clothes, even a nice bed or dresser drawers. If your parents have the will they can make her life quite spartan until she EARNS priveleges (like a door) back with positive behavior.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">