• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Off designated trail in NYS park

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

throwaweiweiwei

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was issued a ticket for walking off the trail in a NYS park, and am pleading guilty. It has no information as to what I should pay or do. What is the fine/penalty for this violation? If fined, how do I pay? Will it affect my driving record despite my lack of permit? I am 17 and am concerned about colleges finding this on my record. No damage was done to the area.

Thanks.

Last edited:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member

I was issued a ticket for walking off the trail in a NYS park, and am pleading guilty.

This has nothing to do with juvenile law.

What section of what law are you charged with violating? It's right there on your appearance ticket.

I can't figure out the potential fine unless you provide the code section you're charged with violating. It will be displayed on the ticket itself. Once you have that, post it up or you can Google it and the code section will tell you the damage.

As far as it affecting your driving record. Generally, in New York, non-felony driving offenses won't affect your driving record is the action was done as a minor. But this rule varies greatly.

As far as colleges finding out about it. Applications usually have a self-disclosure requirement. But conducting a public record search would probably yield nothing as long as you expunge and seal the offense in time. Fortunately you were a minor when you got this ticket.

PQN

I was issued a ticket for walking off the trail in a NYS park, and am pleading guilty. It has no information as to what I should pay or do. What is the fine/penalty for this violation? If fined, how do I pay? Will it affect my driving record despite my lack of permit? I am 17 and am concerned about colleges finding this on my record. No damage was done to the area.

Thanks.
Why would where you WALKED affect your driving record?

HighwayMan

Generally, in New York, non-felony driving offenses won't affect your driving record is the action was done as a minor. But this rule varies greatly.
Huh? ALL driving offenses affect ones driving record no matter if they are a minor or not. Generally? Where are you getting this from?

And "this rule" does not vary greatly - it does not vary at all. While we're at it, what "rule" are you referring to?

HighwayMan

Why would where you WALKED affect your driving record?
The only non-driving offenses that will affect a driving record (that I know of) are certain drug offenses and failing to pay child support. These will result in license suspensions.

HighwayMan

I was issued a ticket for walking off the trail in a NYS park, and am pleading guilty.
Since you haven't answered, I'll guess that you were charged with 9 NYCRR 375.1 (i) which says:

(i) Use of established ways. No person shall use other than trails, overlooks, roads and other ways established and provided for public use by the office. No liability shall attach to the State, its officers, employees or agents for injuries to persons resulting from the use of other than such established trails, overlooks, roads or ways.

This offense is a violation, punishable by up to 15 days in jail (which won't happen) and/or a fine not to exceed $250.00. In addition to the fine there is also probably a New York State surcharge associated with this offense - don't know off the top of my head how much it is for this type of violation. My guess is you'll get assessed a fine somewhere in the $25-$50 range.

Where did this happen and what court is adjudicating this matter?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">