• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Once you turn 18, do all the charges against you, that you recieved as a minor drop?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicholas N

I'm 17 if I'm convicted of 3 misdemeanors will they still be on my record when I'm 18 or will they drop when I'm not a minor anymore?

BL

Ouch. So its on the record forever
Convictions of misdemeanors , doesn't necessarily preclude you from carrying on in a normal sense .

If you continue to be in trouble with the law , the court can take priors into consideration .

Nicholas N

Ok, will it affect me when I'm trying to get a job?
Considering I don't get in any more trouble through college and what not?

Nicholas N

One more question.
My court date will be in June and i will be 18. Does this mean they will try me as a minor or not?

Now this...is over anyone's head on here. This you need to request they do and HOPE they do for your sake. Do you have an atty.? I cannot give legal advice as I am not an atty. however do know that some juveniles can be SEALED.

I can only go by my show Law & Order...I have seen juveniles as young as 15 tried as adults...:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

And...stay out of trouble already...like I just told my own daughter...you have 2 choices each and every day. YOU can choose to take the right path or the wrong path...and there are NO shortcuts either. Also NO ONE is there to help you when you make a bad choice. You are on your own now!!!

This is called: being an ADULT.;)

BL

One more question.
My court date will be in June and i will be 18. Does this mean they will try me as a minor or not?
You haven't even been to court yet , and you are worried about if you're convicted , will it be on your record ?

You'd better think about your defense first , and how to keep from going to jail .

IOW: Geandma knows nothing ...do not listen to her "advice"...;)
Bay..."YOU"...are in NO way any more an atty. than I am!!! That is for absolute certain. I did NOT advise him wrong...nor did you advice him AT ALL!!!:rolleyes:

This young man can certainly attempt to get a juvenile record SEALED. As for his CURRENT problems...He needs to focus on his defense as did the other poster state.
However, a good atty. would use the fact that he was a minor at the time of the offense vs. the time he goes to court being a young adult and in college.

Just Blue

Bay..."YOU"...are in NO way any more an atty. than I am!!! That is for absolute certain. I did NOT advise him wrong...nor did you advice him AT ALL!!!:rolleyes:

This young man can certainly attempt to get a juvenile record SEALED. As for his CURRENT problems...He needs to focus on his defense as did the other poster state.
However, a good atty. would use the fact that he was a minor at the time of the offense vs. the time he goes to court being a young adult and in college.
You are basing you "advice" off (admittedly) odd Law and Order episodes...You know nothing or Law. Period. Your advice should be based on state statutes.

I can only go by my show Law & Order...I have seen juveniles as young as 15 tried as adults

Wrong...

I am basing my advice off pure FACT and of LAW. The juvenile courts can upon request SEAL a juvenile record. In some cases they even take it upon themselves to just do it!!!
This I know as FACT. I did say to see his own states juvenile courts since he did not say where he is from.:rolleyes:

The ONLY thing I was basing from Law and Order shows was in more severe crimes they WILL TRY to try it as an adult and his atty. or P.D. can try to have it heard in Juvenile Court...This is ALSO FACT!!! Although I have seen it on law and order...I know this to be fact as well.

Until you PROVE me wrong...bite me!

Nicholas...what state are you in? Do you have an atty. and/or Public Defender? Also....what was your crime exactly? These are all helpful to get more answers for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">