• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

online chatting with minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

goober96

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? SC

I'm 43 and live in SC. I just started talking to a 16 year old girl in Pennsylvania. Yeah, I know, I'm not looking for judgment, just legal advice. I looked up Pennsylvania's age of consent and found that it is 16, same as SC, so I'm good there. I just want to know if there are any Federal or other laws that could impact me. I am not going to get any nude pictures from her and I know that would be illegal under Federal law anyway. If we are just chatting (no video, just text) what are the legal implications? Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The age of consent is 16 but the age of majority is 18. That means she is still under the care, custody and control of her parents.

Do her parents know that their minor daughter is having regular online conversation of an undisclosed but (from your post) likely inappropriate nature with a male of almost three times her age?

I'mTheFather

You might also consider that engaging with a minor online could put you on the radar of (and under the scrutiny of) authorities who investigate this kind of behavior.

TigerD

And considering that no single person alive can know how many federal laws there are - much less avoid breaking them - attracting this kind of attention to yourself isn't particularly smart.

TD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">