• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

open packages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spur

What is the name of your state? Virginia

12 year old went into a Target and opened 2 cd's and 1 dvd packages. No items were taken out of the package. Was stopped at the door and taken to security office. Purse was checked. No "stolen" items on her person/purse. Was let go with promise to pay for items. police were never called.
i go in to pay for the items, one week later, and there is a half of bag full of empty packages totaling $89.00 (at the time was told the total would be $50.00).
Store claimes that i have to pay for all items and that they must keep the items as evidence.
Any truth to any/part of this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Virginia

12 year old went into a Target and opened 2 cd's and 1 dvd packages. No items were taken out of the package. Was stopped at the door and taken to security office. Purse was checked. No "stolen" items on her person/purse. Was let go with promise to pay for items. police were never called.
i go in to pay for the items, one week later, and there is a half of bag full of empty packages totaling $89.00 (at the time was told the total would be $50.00).
Store claimes that i have to pay for all items and that they must keep the items as evidence.
Any truth to any/part of this?

Did you get an itemized inventory at the time she opened the packages? I don't think they will be able to get her on shoplifting charges, but without an itemized inventory, you are kind of stuck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">