• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Orphan / guardianship questions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

auntkathy

What is the name of your state? TX

My sister passed away four years ago. She had a 12 year old daughter. Sunday afternoon, my brother-law-died. Now my niece is 16 and has no place to live.

The BIL had remarried two months ago but the stepmom isn't someone that my niece would benefit from living with. She doesn't work, has no money, they're in pretty bad financial distress (which probably contributed to BIL's heart attack) ...

There is an older brother who says niece (his little sister) can come live with him and his wife. We are trying to figure out what sort of paperwork is needed. Her other brother called an attorney this morning and they said we needed to file for power of attorney to establish a legal guardian.

Question is: do we need an attorney or can we do this ourselves. The estate hasn't been settled, and it's going to get messy to get niece away from stepmom (who wants to keep her because they've all been living off of niece's social security that she got after her mom, my sister, died).

Whew ... I never realized until I saw this all written out that it was such a soap opera.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">