• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Adult-Minor Dating

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bill Nye

I'm wondering if it's legal for me to date someone at my school. I'm a 13 year old male and she's a 19 year old female. Legal or no?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
If by "dating" you mean dinner and a movie, then no, no problem with that.

If by "dating" you mean have sex (doesn't matter the kind of sex), then yes, that could be a problem for the adult. http://www.premierdefensegroup.com/blog/pennsylvania-age-of-consent/

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
No normal 19 year old would even give a 13 year old a second look. Something is wrong with her.

quincy

I'm wondering if it's legal for me to date someone at my school. I'm a 13 year old male and she's a 19 year old female. Legal or no?
I see a legal problem with a 19 year old dating a 13 year old if they are at the same school. The only 19 year old that I can think of that would be at the same school as a 13 year old would be a student teacher.

Bill Nye should report this woman to school officials.

Here is a good study of the laws as they relate to student-teacher relationships, written by Katelyn Burch Busby for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Law Review: http://lawrepository.ualr.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1129&context=lawreview

Last edited:

LdiJ

I see a legal problem with a 19 year old dating a 13 year old if they are at the same school. The only 19 year old that I can think of that would be at the same school as a 13 year old would be a student teacher.

Bill Nye should report this woman to school officials.

Here is a good study of the laws as they relate to student-teacher relationships, written by Katelyn Burch Busby for the University of Arkansas at Little Rock Law Review: http://lawrepository.ualr.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1129&context=lawreview
In some smaller school systems middle and high school aged students are all at the same school. So its possible that way as well. Its also possible to have a precocious 13 year old freshman and a 19 year old senior.

quincy

In some smaller school systems middle and high school aged students are all at the same school. So its possible that way as well. Its also possible to have a precocious 13 year old freshman and a 19 year old senior.
Unlikely at best.

LdiJ

Unlikely at best.
Huh? There are 13 year old Freshman and there are 19 year old seniors. There are schools where middle and high school aged students are all at the same school. Its just as likely to be one of those as it is a 19 year old student teacher trying to date a 13 year old student.

Again, I think its more likely that the 19 year old has told him its illegal, to let him down gently. In other words, instead of saying "heck no, I am not interested in dating a child" which would hurt his feelings, she is telling him, "I am sorry, but it wouldn't be legal for me to date you" which would preserve his ego.

quincy

Huh? There are 13 year old Freshman and there are 19 year old seniors. There are schools where middle and high school aged students are all at the same school. Its just as likely to be one of those as it is a 19 year old student teacher trying to date a 13 year old student.

Again, I think its more likely that the 19 year old has told him its illegal, to let him down gently. In other words, instead of saying "heck no, I am not interested in dating a child" which would hurt his feelings, she is telling him, "I am sorry, but it wouldn't be legal for me to date you" which would preserve his ego.
I think you are off base ... but you can believe what you want to. Without additional facts (and Bill Nye has not returned to the forum yet), I say the situation as described appears to be legally problematic.

LdiJ

I think you are off base ... but you can believe what you want to. Without additional facts (and Bill Nye has not returned to the forum yet), I say the situation as described appears to be legally problematic.
Who said it wasn't legally problematic? Of course its legally problematic. No matter what the scenario 13/19 is legally problematic. However your notion that its a student teacher actually WANTING to date the 13 year old seems far more unlikely to me than a 13 year old crushing on a 19 year old.

ajkroy

In the school where I teach (public high school in MA), we have transitional students who remain after graduation and are allowed to stay until they reach 21.

quincy

Who said it wasn't legally problematic? Of course its legally problematic. No matter what the scenario 13/19 is legally problematic. However your notion that its a student teacher actually WANTING to date the 13 year old seems far more unlikely to me than a 13 year old crushing on a 19 year old.
I have no idea where you get from the original post that the 19 year old woman is "trying to turn [the 13 year old boy] down gently by telling him it's illegal" to preserve his ego.

Obviously your mind is creating pictures in your head that mine is not.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">