• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental Consent...What's the legal age???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Mo-Lu

What is the name of your state? NY

My question is, what is the legal age in NY that a child can tell the parent that they can live somewhere's else, without that parent's consent? :confused:

M

Mo-Lu

Thank you. I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure. See, the thing is, when I was 17, I had my first child (who is now on the verge of 17). Well, I was too young to be the kind of mother and give the life my child deserved, so my mother adopted her. Now, for the past 3 years, my daughter has lived with my sister "because she wanted to go to a certain school". Now, she is saying she wants to live with a friend of my mother's, (not even a relative) "because she wants to go to a certain other school". I told my mother that she is the adult, not my daughter and she needs to lay down the laws. She said that she is 16 and doesn't have to listen to her, so why don't I just leave it be. I can't, because even though I don't "legally" have any rights to her, she is still, and always will be my daughter. I don't feel that she should be in charge of what she does, or where she lives, just because. Ok, just wanted to post why I was asking, and thanks again for the answer. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">