• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parental responsibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mt.state

What is the name of your state? CA

My stepson, who is 19, has been renting a room from the mother of a friend in order to help this woman out financially. Her 14-year-old daughter has become infatuated with him and regards him as a "boyfriend." I am not sure of the extent of their relationship, but he does want to move out of the house because he is uncomfortable with the situation. He is concerned that the mother may try to cause trouble and claim that he has "corrupted" her daughter when he moves out.
I am aware that age of consent is 18 in CA, and that my stepson has probably gotten himself in a bad situation if he has been sexually intimate with this girl. However, isn't the mother--who is the legal guardian--responsible for for her daughter in some fashion? What legal recourse do we have if the mother claims he has taken advantage of the girl?What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">