• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

parents demand money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjamas

What is the name of your state? Oregon

A friend's parents payed for some online classes for the minor to take. She failed them, and now her parents are demanding compensation for the classes. She has been working part time and has saved up about 2000 dollars. (the amount they are requesting) Does she have a choice whether to pay them or not? This was not an upfront agreement, it was after the fact. She will be turning 18 in 5 months and getting the hell away from her parents for all kinds of other reasons, and is hoping to have this money to get her started. What are her rights for this money?

pjamas

please give me some legal responses.

obviously this friend is having problems. I think that is abundantly clear, seeing as
the other two posts, had to do with her running away. Her home life is problamatic to say the least, and she and those of us who care about her are counting down the days untill she turns 18. Her main reason for running away 5 months before she turns 18 would be to save this money, and any future money they may try to take from her. I am trying to advice her not to run away and am looking for:

a: legal reprocussions of running away
b: legal rights she might have that would protect her money
c: legal reprocussions for anyone who harbors her, becasue she wouldn't want to get her friends into trouble

Wolflmg

pjamas said:
obviously this friend is having problems. I think that is abundantly clear, seeing as
the other two posts, had to do with her running away. Her home life is problamatic to say the least, and she and those of us who care about her are counting down the days untill she turns 18. Her main reason for running away 5 months before she turns 18 would be to save this money, and any future money they may try to take from her. I am trying to advice her not to run away and am looking for:

a: legal reprocussions of running away
b: legal rights she might have that would protect her money
c: legal reprocussions for anyone who harbors her, becasue she wouldn't want to get her friends into trouble
And you think your friend running away will slove her problems. The outside world isn't as friendly as most 18 year old tend to think. And going out there with the additude, 'I'm 18 and I can do whatever I want' is only going make things worse. Because I can garantee that she'll run into someone just like her parents.

She failed the classes. Now I'm guess the reason her parents are making her pay for them, isn't becasue she has a learning disability and that's why she failed them. More then likely she failed them becasue she chose not to do the work and studied.

pjamas

please give me some legal responses.

Wolflmg said:
And you think your friend running away will slove her problems. The outside world isn't as friendly as most 18 year old tend to think. And going out there with the additude, 'I'm 18 and I can do whatever I want' is only going make things worse. Because I can garantee that she'll run into someone just like her parents.

She failed the classes. Now I'm guess the reason her parents are making her pay for them, isn't becasue she has a learning disability and that's why she failed them. More then likely she failed them becasue she chose not to do the work and studied.

I just said i am trying to talk her out of moving away! and would like legal answers to my above three questions. She doesn't have an "I can do whatever i want attitude" She is trying to be smart by saving money for when she leaves a very bad home situation. She is thinking of jumping the gun to save the money from being taken away from her. The money she is building up in order to be able to support herself when she leaves home at 18 HOPEFULLY! i just want some legal answers!!! isn't that what this site is for????

Wolflmg

pjamas said:
I just said i am trying to talk her out of moving away! and would like legal answers to my above three questions. She doesn't have an "I can do whatever i want attitude" She is trying to be smart by saving money for when she leaves a very bad home situation. She is thinking of jumping the gun to save the money from being taken away from her. The money she is building up in order to be able to support herself when she leaves home at 18 HOPEFULLY! i just want some legal answers!!! isn't that what this site is for????

Not a whole lot she can do, unless she goes on judge judy or something. Her parents paid for the classes, she still lives under their roof. I assume they pay for her clothes and food. Now I think her parents paid for the classes just so she could fail them. They would be a waste of money for them, and believe they paid for her classes believing that by her word she would do the work and get a good passing grade in it.
But that's not what happened, for whatever reason. So unless you can tell me she worked her but off in the classes, made time for them, studied, made contact with the instructor through e-mails or phone calls. Then her parents may have every right to ask her to pay for them.

AHA

Just FYI to a teen who's living in lala-land with pink fluffy clouds, $2000 will get you nowhere when it comes to building a new life, she'll end up on welfare or on the street if she continues to think that the adult world is that easy and cheap.

pjamas

It wouldn't hurt to have more ettiquette

Thanks for all your help, though many of you were just plain judgemental. I would like to remind those of you that this site is supposed to be for information about laws, not judgement about the questions. To the rest of you, Thanks for helping my research paper.

AHA

pjamas said:
Thanks for all your help, though many of you were just plain judgemental. I would like to remind those of you that this site is supposed to be for information about laws, not judgement about the questions. To the rest of you, Thanks for helping my research paper.
The internet is open to the entire world, if you want privacy you don't wash your dirty laundry on it.

pjamas

I didn't ask for privacy... I asked for legal advise. My last post meant only to remind people of the purpose of this forum. Legality, not morality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">