• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents full of hot air, or...?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TigerRose

19 in MI Need Permission To...

I live in Michigan.
I am 19 years old.
I have no diploma or GED. (Don't know if that's relevant or not.)
I plan to move to TN next month.

My mother and father divorced when I as about two. He had visitation for a while, but it was halted (I don't know details). Since, I've had no contact with him, he has just been paying support.

My mother and step-father told me that I cannot move to TN, without permission from my birth father, until I am 21 - that I am a "ward of the state." (doesn't that only pertain to adopted children underlegal age?) I know legal age to move out is 18 in MI, but is out of the state different? Especially with the fact of my birth father? Or the fact that I don't have diploma or GED?

I think my parents were full of hot air and just don't want me to move, but I'd like to try to make sure..

Last edited:

Not legal advice

But everything that I can see says that you are free to go. I can't imagine that you would remain a child longer just because you came from a broken home, but you may want to check back for a more experienced opinion. :cool:

BelizeBreeze

TigerRose said:
I live in Michigan.
I am 19 years old.
I have no diploma or GED. (Don't know if that's relevant or not.)
I plan to move to TN next month.

My mother and father divorced when I as about two. He had visitation for a while, but it was halted (I don't know details). Since, I've had no contact with him, he has just been paying support.

My mother and step-father told me that I cannot move to TN, without permission from my birth father, until I am 21 - that I am a "ward of the state." (doesn't that only pertain to adopted children underlegal age?) I know legal age to move out is 18 in MI, but is out of the state different? Especially with the fact of my birth father? Or the fact that I don't have diploma or GED?

I think my parents were full of hot air and just don't want me to move, but I'd like to try to make sure..
Tell your parents the next time they decide to lie to you at lease use a little intelligence...then wave goodbye.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Frankly, if my 19yo with no diploma or GED wanted to move out of the house instead of having me support him, I'd be thrilled.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">