• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Are parents liable for damages caused by delinquent minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

perezlps73

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

a friend of mine has a run a away minor that while being a runaway stole a vehicle and had and accident with that vehicle. She was arrested by the police when the caused the accident. She plead guilty and was sentenced to 12 month in juvenile hall. The insurance company for the owner of the vehicle is contacting the mother.
My question is: Is he parent responsible to pay the damages caused by the delinquent child even though the child was reported at that time as a runaway?

Thank you,
Carlin

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

a friend of mine has a run a away minor that while being a runaway stole a vehicle and had and accident with that vehicle. She was arrested by the police when the caused the accident. She plead guilty and was sentenced to 12 month in juvenile hall. The insurance company for the owner of the vehicle is contacting the mother.
My question is: Is he parent responsible to pay the damages caused by the delinquent child even though the child was reported at that time as a runaway?

Thank you,
Carlin
California 186.20 ~ California's Street Terrorism Enforcement and Prevention Act of 1988 holds parents/legal guardians criminally liable when they have not exercised “reasonable care, supervision, protection, and control over the minor child.

Mom should have minor child start working hard to pay this debt. Look at it this way, it should keep them out of trouble.:cool:

CdwJava

Thank you,
Carlin
The parent CAN be held civilly responsible, but this is an arguable position.

Did the parents attempt to exercise reasonable control over the child? Did the parents report the child to the police as a runaway?

(Note to Antigone: While I believe the theory is the same elsewhere in CA law, the specific section you cited has to do with our state's gang laws)

Antigone*

The parent CAN be held civilly responsible, but this is an arguable position.

Did the parents attempt to exercise reasonable control over the child? Did the parents report the child to the police as a runaway?

(Note to Antigone: While I believe the theory is the same elsewhere in CA law, the specific section you cited has to do with our state's gang laws)
I understand that;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">