• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parents threatening to kick minor out

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

evoleno

What is the name of your state? WA.

I'm not sure where to post this, and I feel weird about posting it in general, but here goes.

I'm a 17 year old high school drop out, I currently have my GED and I work construction randomly (it depends on when my boss needs help). I had a really shaky childhood and my parents are extremely different than me, me and my stepfather have never gotten along, he is a 40 year old alcholic, he has been through AA twice but continues to drink constantly, I've been to Denny Juvenile Jail numerous times for alleged "domestic assault" but I have never had any charges filed on me. My mother is on xanax, and she has bad mood swings, of course she won't admit to this. She doesn't have a job and she is extremely irritable, through all of this I spend 90% of my time in the house in my bedroom, its been this way for the past 3 years.

It's hard for me to put my whole situation in something relatively short, my mom threatened to kick me out today, she basically came downstairs asking to talk to me, I let her into my room and she starts bitching at me about how I don't do anything and don't deserve to live here, I just tried to explain to her that she is being unreasonable and not letting me talk, I asked her if she was just venting on me or something, I think that made her even more mad. Basically she went to the extreme to tell me that she is going to contact her attorney to see if she can force me to move out, I told her she is being extremely unfair and isn't paying attention to anything that goes on the house and I feel like she takes everything out on me, she denies this.

My brother moved back into the house when he was 18, she bought him a car and paid for his insurance, I seriously hate my parents, this is pretty much my turn to vent, they are uneducated *******s with no sense of logic, they don't give me time to speak my mind, my stepfather is belligerent to no end, I ****ing hate living here, they won't allow me to get my license. Anyway I'll stop and just get to the point, Can my parents legally kick me out? At first I didn't think anything of it, but I figure if I can arm myself with the knowledge of the situation I will be much better off, I live in Washington State, any help is appreciated, thanks to anyone who actually took the time to read this and to reply.

P.S. If it matters, my moms reason for wanting to kick me out 'legally' she says, is that I'm not working full time and don't attend school.

P.p.s. I know this post looks really biased, I didn't intentionally present it as biased, it just came out that way.

J

Jymbo

Kicking out

I do not know if your parents can legally kick you out. BUT they can do such things as sign you over to the military etc. As a parent they are responsible for you until you reach your majority.
Several things work against you, first the alledged domestic abuses.
Secondly, you need to grow up. Let's just get this out in the open, not to hit you across the head or demean you. Grow up. Life itself is generally unfair.
While you are a high school drop out, you state you have earned your GED which tells the state that you have achieved the minimal educational requirement for your state and can continue to further your education as you see fit.
I would suggest you check into Teen Ala-non or some other support groups for people who have family members with abuse problems. You do not indicate if you have a substance abuse problem, but I am willing to bet that you do, or are on your way.
Since you state you spend 90% of your time in your room, that is 90% you can seek to find other outlets to improve yourself. Since you say your parents are uneducated whatevers, let's turn the tables. What have you done to improve your education? Just a GED?
So, get off your butt and do something, besides if you hate your life so much why are you wanting to spend so much time there? If you do not like it so much, do what you can in the year that you have to further educate yourself either through college or trade school or even the reserves if they will take you. Sounds like you are not preparing for when you are 18 and they CAN say hasta la bye bye, come back when you can't stay so long.
Time for you to take stock and a long good look at both your family and in the mirror. If you don't like what you see, you have the options of changing some of them. Mainly you.

Good luck

E

evoleno

You misunderstood my post, also you are generalizing and labeling me, I have absolutely no substance abuse program, and I am looking into attending my local community college, but I can't do it without my parents support, Also, I think you take me spending 90% of my time in my room "while I'm at home" as I spend 90% of my life in my room, I'm rarely home because of the problems I face when I come home, trust me this situation isn't my fault, I'm really disappointed that you labeled me so fast when you read my thread, pure speculation on how I am, I consider myself to be an intelligent individual with lots of self motivation, I had to drop out of school because I spent so much time in DYC for 'alleged' domestic abuse, basically it was my stepfather beating my ass when I'm 16, then when I try to defend myself he calls the police and they haul me off into jail. I've literally been to DYC 6 times and they've dropped the charges every single time, but after I spend up to 4 weeks in jail. You must not know what its like, its truely scary to be afraid of confronting your parents to the extent that I am. The reason that I don't just leave is because I have nowhere to go, I don't make enough money to move anywhere, and I'm not 18 so I can't legally get my own place, but thanks for the info on military thing. I'm still wondering if anyone else has any information.

Last edited:
J

Jymbo

You are incorrect

I am not generalizing you. I am trying to see where you are at. But at the same time, you need to realize at 17 you do need to grow up.
Read your post and try and do it not from your perspective, but someone coming in and reading it cold. Hmmmmm, the power of words.
Now, my suggestion of Teen Alanon or other substance abuse program is valid. You need to vent, and others who are in similar situations past or present can be a great benefit to you.
Since you are 17, and have your GED (which I do congratulate you on) you might want to look into joining the military, military reserves. You could be considered emancipated at that time (some of the more senior members in here would be of better help on that subject) and you would have your own place to go.....Uncle Sam has this annoying tendency of liking to know where it's enlistees are. Additionally you would be receiving a paycheck, possibly learning or expanding on your skill sets that you already have and you would have resources available to you for counseling. Not to mention the GI Bill would help you in your quest to further your education.
Look at studying up for your ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Apptitude Battery) they have increased it's difficulty in the last couple of years.
If you are worried about the current state of affairs and being sent to a location that is dangerous, you can consider the US Coast Guard which is in desperate need of enlistees.
If you choose this route, you have to be completely honest on your application including your "mini-vacations" from home in JuVee.

A

april_price

evoleno said:
What is the name of your state? WA.

I'm not sure where to post this, and I feel weird about posting it in general, but here goes.

I'm a 17 year old high school drop out, I currently have my GED and I work construction randomly (it depends on when my boss needs help). I had a really shaky childhood and my parents are extremely different than me, me and my stepfather have never gotten along, he is a 40 year old alcholic, he has been through AA twice but continues to drink constantly, I've been to Denny Juvenile Jail numerous times for alleged "domestic assault" but I have never had any charges filed on me. My mother is on xanax, and she has bad mood swings, of course she won't admit to this. She doesn't have a job and she is extremely irritable, through all of this I spend 90% of my time in the house in my bedroom, its been this way for the past 3 years.

It's hard for me to put my whole situation in something relatively short, my mom threatened to kick me out today, she basically came downstairs asking to talk to me, I let her into my room and she starts bitching at me about how I don't do anything and don't deserve to live here, I just tried to explain to her that she is being unreasonable and not letting me talk, I asked her if she was just venting on me or something, I think that made her even more mad. Basically she went to the extreme to tell me that she is going to contact her attorney to see if she can force me to move out, I told her she is being extremely unfair and isn't paying attention to anything that goes on the house and I feel like she takes everything out on me, she denies this.

My brother moved back into the house when he was 18, she bought him a car and paid for his insurance, I seriously hate my parents, this is pretty much my turn to vent, they are uneducated *******s with no sense of logic, they don't give me time to speak my mind, my stepfather is belligerent to no end, I ****ing hate living here, they won't allow me to get my license. Anyway I'll stop and just get to the point, Can my parents legally kick me out? At first I didn't think anything of it, but I figure if I can arm myself with the knowledge of the situation I will be much better off, I live in Washington State, any help is appreciated, thanks to anyone who actually took the time to read this and to reply.

P.S. If it matters, my moms reason for wanting to kick me out 'legally' she says, is that I'm not working full time and don't attend school.

P.p.s. I know this post looks really biased, I didn't intentionally present it as biased, it just came out that way.
Well i don't know about the laws where you live but, just hope taht she don't do like my daddy did. My STEPMOM kicked me out and he let her. So, when i went to Alabama to stay with my boyfriends family, they put runaway charges on me. Come to find out, they could get in to trouble. I was 16 when it happend. I am 17 now andi am geting ready tobe kicked out cuz i am pregnant. Why don't you look into gettin emancipated? As long as you can support yourself you shouldn't have a problem. Like, get an apartment. You said you have a job .Show the judge you can take care of yourself and he will give you a divorce from your parents.

CdwJava

You will be 18 in less than a year. Then you can move out. It sounds like you can't really support yourself too well anyway right now with part time construction work, so you may have little practical options ahead of you aside from staying at home.

And emancipation often requires parental consent in addition to other factors - like demonstrated responsibility and ability to make a living without ANY assistance. So this may not be a realistic option.

And while I am not familiar with the laws in WA, I doubt they could legally "kick you out" until you are 18. And if they want to help, maybe you CAN try to get emancipated ... that way you can go live in a shack of your own somewhere unless you can get full time work and afford a decent apartment.

Personally, I would think it is a recipe for disaster. Most kids who try to play grown up too fast end up coming in contact with the police or, at best, social services, for a very long time.

Good luck.

- Carl

Have you heard of this?

Job Corps? Look into it. I have a friend that went through job corps. he said it was the best thing he had ever done for himself.
Natasha

Tinaa

A most excellent suggestion Natasha. Job Corps will house you and train you! It has turned many lives around. Give 'em a call.

D

D.B. Cooper

I'm not much older than you and can somewhat relate to your emotional state. In your present situation you do not stand a chance to gain knowlege, power, and direction. Something we all need and should thrive to attain. You need to get out of your house and become your own person. Job Corps is the best bet going, and is a viable way out. They have 6 month, one year, and two year programs. Free housing and you can learn a trade. When you get out they will have money waiting for you that you have earned in the program, enough to get an apartment and get you going. You should really look into this. I have several friends that went thru it and they all speak highly of thier time spent at Job Corps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">