• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Participation of underage students in conference

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dario94

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N/A (South Yorkshire, UK)

Dear All,

I would first like to apologize if this post is in the wrong section. I am not familiar at all with law and its terminology, and will do my best to make my message as clear as possible. :)

I am part of a group of students which is organizing a debate conference for next November. Registered participants will attend a three-day committee session and debate various issues.

I have received request from some underage students (less than 18) to participate. While we, as organizational team, have nothing against underage participants per se, we cannot book accommodation or travel on behalf of participants, nor provide them with any form of supervision. Equally, we cannot be liable for them 24/7. In brief - they would be treated as adults. They would need to take care of themselves throughout the day, sort their necessities etc. While we would be available in case of emergency (Ie: serious illness, being victims of assault/theft etc) we cannot make sure that they are back to their rooms by 11pm/they do not drink alcohol etc. As their parents/guardians would not accompany them, I was wondering if it is possible for their parents/guardians to sign an agreement stating that our team is not responsible and, if so, whether it can be some agreement I myself can write without any specific knowledge, or if it would require "legal language". (In the latter case, is there any template we can refer to?)

Thanks in advance! :)

Dario

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Dario:

This site covers US law only. US law and UK law are not the same. Even within the US, the law can vary from state to state. UK law is a whole different animal, and we have no experts in UK law here. You will need to find a forum that covers UK law.

I am not affiliated with this site and can't say anything about it, but it may be a place to start.

http://www.personneltoday.com/hrspace/forums/default.aspx

Sorry we can't help.

Dario94

Hi cbg,

Thank you, and sorry about the confusion. As I said, I am really unfamiliar with the world of law.

Just out of curiosity, and if you have the time to answer my question, what would the rules be in the US? I may be starting to work as an event manager in there in the future, and would be interested in knowing. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi cbg,

Thank you, and sorry about the confusion. As I said, I am really unfamiliar with the world of law.

Just out of curiosity, and if you have the time to answer my question, what would the rules be in the US? I may be starting to work as an event manager in there in the future, and would be interested in knowing. :)
There are 50+ different jurisdictions in the US. It's really not that simple.

ETA: Additionally, your question is really beyond the scope of this forum. You are asking to have a liability waiver drafted for you. You will want to seek local counsel (and that applies in the US *or* the UK)

OHRoadwarrior

Generally speaking, if you want these teens to attend, you should establish a specific mentor group to be in charge of them. The mentor group would assume some liability.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Generally speaking, if you want these teens to attend, you should establish a specific mentor group to be in charge of them. The mentor group would assume some liability.
Really? And what portion of UK law are you basing that on? ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">