• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Personal school WiFi hotspot?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Highschool327

I live in Maryland and have a phone with the capability of creating a WiFi hotspot. My school has a free period where the students can either go to a class and get work done if they're failing a class, or they can go there if they feel like it, or they can go to the Gym and hang out with their phones. The reason I created a Hotspot at school was to bring internet access to my friend who has no data/internet on their device. Being the funny person I am, however, I alternate the SSID names to funny things- such as "Dolphin_Prostitute", "FBI_Van_4929", or "Free Candy" for my and others amusement. I never slander or personally attack any one with the names though. So my question is: can I get into some sort of trouble by doing this in the school? Surely they can't regulate WiFi networks, correct? Also, is there some form of technology that could track me down somehow and find my phone? If I am approached for doing this and deny it, however they ask to see my phone too, I can deny them to that right? Thanks, and sorry for my immaturity. haha :)

swalsh411

You're not breaking and laws but if you are being disruptive and the school asks you to stop and you refuse you are subject to discipline.

Mass_Shyster

Surely they can't regulate WiFi networks, correct?
Not correct. They can pretty much regulate anything they want

Also, is there some form of technology that could track me down somehow and find my phone?
Yup.
If I am approached for doing this and deny it, however they ask to see my phone too, I can deny them to that right?
They can throw you out for refusing. Depending on the circumstances, they may be able to take the phone by force.

tranquility

The school cannot "regulate" the wifi network. They don't have the power and there are legal protections to allow people to receive electromagnetic spectrum. (Which is why cell phone "blockers" are not allowed in theaters and the like.)

However, the school CAN "regulate" the OP.

racer72

I would like to know what kind of plan the OP has that would allow him that much bandwidth. I have a pretty generous plan for my smartphone but it doesn't take long to use up the allotted high speed bandwith when I do use my phone as a hot spot.

Indiana Filer

I've kept my unlimited data plan on Verizon by not renewing my contract, and buying upgrade phones through E-bay. I could share my access through a hot-spot via my phone and still be OK in terms of data usage. Perhaps the OP did the same.

xylene

Zigner said:
Not sure why you said this - making amusing names for Wi-Fi networks is very, very common amongst people of all ages & maturity levels.
While I agree with you 100% - and I can't speak what HomeGuru intended by his comment -perhaps it is best not to be provocative while doing something the OP clearly suspects the school would not approve of.

School, these days, is a very much an "everything not expressly allowed is prohibited" type of environment. And expressions of anti-authority behavior with sexual references is just the reason a school needs to come down on something totally innocent.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The kid OP is still in high school and the SSID names could have been in better taste.
Whose taste?
Personally, I find them funny and not in poor taste for a high school kid. That is why "taste" is not a good standard to base things on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">