• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petition to access juvenile records

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

searcher1943

What is the name of your state? Maryland

In 1961 I ran away from home and was arrested and went through the juvenile court, and was committed to a juvenile institution.

I understand that under Maryland law I have the right to see my juvenile records, but that I must obtain a court order to do so.

Do I need an attorney to file a petition for me, or is there a way for me to petition the court on my own behalf. If there is some provision for me to do so, where can I find a sample of a petition for access to juvenile records? I have one such sample, but it is for release of records belonging to a juvenile currently in custody (I do not have the actual petition, just a sample) but since I am not only not in custody, but the incident for which I want to see the records took place more than 40 years ago, I need to find out how to see those records.

I have tried searching free legal forms sites, but frankly do not know what I should even be searching for, so have not been able to locate a sample petition form.

Thanks for any hel0 in this matter.

My reason for wanting to see my records has to do with a family history I am writing, and also with needing closure (after all these years) for that period in my life.

My state above is the state in which I was living at the time of the incident (1961) and I suppose the petition must be filed with the court there.. I am currently living in Florida.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">