• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Petitioning court to live with non custodial parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ozone1965

What is the name of your state? Florida

My daughter is fourteen and miserable living with her father. He is her primary custodial parent, but she wants to petition the courts to see if she can live with me instead. It's gotten so bad there that she started cutting herself because she's so unhappy. Is it possible to do such a thing and if so what are the odds of success. I realize there are many variables involved, but is it possible?

ntpwwjd1

If she is cutting herself because of the living arrangment gotten so bad get social services involved-now. Get a papertrail started from social services, school, etc. If social services feels that the child is doing it because of whats going on in the home and think that dad has some form of fault you should be able to file for emergency temp orders. Thats how it works in my state.

ntpwwjd1

Sorry I forgot,

if dad house is unsafe for her and social services get involved they would help you a little to get temporary custody. They rather give you your daughter back then have another kid in the system but of course you have to have your act together as well.
So why does dad have custody anyways?

Gracie3787

What is the name of your state? Florida

My daughter is fourteen and miserable living with her father. He is her primary custodial parent, but she wants to petition the courts to see if she can live with me instead. It's gotten so bad there that she started cutting herself because she's so unhappy. Is it possible to do such a thing and if so what are the odds of success. I realize there are many variables involved, but is it possible?
The first thing you need to do is to get your daughter into counseling.

Then, you can file for a modification of the custody order. You should be sure to request a GAL for the case also.

Get a consult with a local attorney. You can get a low cost consult by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer Referral Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">