• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

petty theft of minor

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seeker73

What is the name of your state? California

My son, 16 yrs old, and a friend went into a store in our local mall and my son came out with 3 lighters. He gave them to his friend to look at and then asked him to hold onto them. An employee from the store approached them, just outside the store, and asked for his friend to empty his pockets. My son then said "I took the lighters". The lighters were then turned over to the employee. They brought my son back into the store and took him into an office. They held him long only enough to write down his name, address, and phone number then released him. The police were not contacted, nor were mall security.

I received a letter two weeks later requesting a demand payment, from a law firm, for my sons actions pursuant to Cal Penal Code, Sections 490.5 (b) and (c). Stating I may settle this matter by making payment of $350 within 20 days. I did not pay. To make a long story short, I later received a second letter stating the new amount would be $625. Or the merchant may file further civil action and will be requesting pre-litigation attorney fees and so on.

I called the store to ask what was going on and ask why I had not been contacted. This is when I received the details of my sons actions and that he inadvertently gave the incorrect phone number, so a message by the store was left on someone's answering machine. They made no further attempt to contact me "per store policy".

I have read the Code but am confused about a couple of things if someone could clear it up for me?
1. The letter I received was addressed to "Parent/Guardian of (my sons name), can I be served like that?
2. In Section 490.5 (b) it is my understanding that "damages" can not exceed $500, but the law firm is demanding payment in the amount of $625.
3. There was no damage to the merchandise and the merchandise was recovered on the spot, is the term damages as used in this code referring to something else?
4. It is unclear as to whether any of this can be proper legal procedure in the absence of any kind of report or filing with any authorities?
5. Section 490.5 (c) doesn't even apply to me does it? I, the adult, did not unlawfully take any merchandise and there is no emancipated minor in this situation.

If what they are trying to do is legal then so be it, I would just like to know for sure if everything here is on the up and up. If what they are doing is legal and I am unable to pay the fine what is likely to happen in court? This is his first offense, he has never been in any trouble before. Any possibility they would order him to community service and make him get a part time job to pay the fine himself? I don't really see how fining me will help my son learn not to do this again. I understand the whole legally holding the parent responsible for the actions of a minor thing but...I am a single parent of 6 children, I am not employed, my only source is child support and my youngest are 2 and 3 yrs old which is why I stay at home. I/my family can not afford to pay for his stupid behavior when there was not technical damage to the merchant. I realize if I am ordered to then that it the way it is, just don't think that teaches him much of a lesson.

Thank you for your time.

CourtClerk

What is the name of your state? California

My son, 16 yrs old, and a friend went into a store in our local mall and my son came out with 3 lighters. He gave them to his friend to look at and then asked him to hold onto them. An employee from the store approached them, just outside the store, and asked for his friend to empty his pockets. My son then said "I took the lighters". The lighters were then turned over to the employee. They brought my son back into the store and took him into an office. They held him long only enough to write down his name, address, and phone number then released him. The police were not contacted, nor were mall security.

I received a letter two weeks later requesting a demand payment, from a law firm, for my sons actions pursuant to Cal Penal Code, Sections 490.5 (b) and (c). Stating I may settle this matter by making payment of $350 within 20 days. I did not pay. To make a long story short, I later received a second letter stating the new amount would be $625. Or the merchant may file further civil action and will be requesting pre-litigation attorney fees and so on.

I called the store to ask what was going on and ask why I had not been contacted. This is when I received the details of my sons actions and that he inadvertently gave the incorrect phone number, so a message by the store was left on someone's answering machine. They made no further attempt to contact me "per store policy".

I have read the Code but am confused about a couple of things if someone could clear it up for me?
1. The letter I received was addressed to "Parent/Guardian of (my sons name), can I be served like that?

You aren't being "served" legal papers per se, you are being sent a civil demand. It's fine for them to send a letter addressed as such.

2. In Section 490.5 (b) it is my understanding that "damages" can not exceed $500, but the law firm is demanding payment in the amount of $625.

I'd bring that up to them. Perhaps they are trying to recoup attorney's fees also, but if the statute provides for no more than $500, then so be it. Haven't read the complete statute.

3. There was no damage to the merchandise and the merchandise was recovered on the spot, is the term damages as used in this code referring to something else?

Damages incurred include loss prevention efforts, man hours used in order to gather information, question your child... not necessarily actual damages to the merchandise itself.

4. It is unclear as to whether any of this can be proper legal procedure in the absence of any kind of report or filing with any authorities?

Filing charges with the authorities is not a necessity. They are actually doing you a favor by not pressing charges on your child.

5. Section 490.5 (c) doesn't even apply to me does it? I, the adult, did not unlawfully take any merchandise and there is no emancipated minor in this situation.

You are legally responsible for your child. Sucks, but it's true.

If what they are trying to do is legal then so be it, I would just like to know for sure if everything here is on the up and up. If what they are doing is legal and I am unable to pay the fine what is likely to happen in court? This is his first offense, he has never been in any trouble before. Any possibility they would order him to community service and make him get a part time job to pay the fine himself? I don't really see how fining me will help my son learn not to do this again. I understand the whole legally holding the parent responsible for the actions of a minor thing but...I am a single parent of 6 children, I am not employed, my only source is child support and my youngest are 2 and 3 yrs old which is why I stay at home. I/my family can not afford to pay for his stupid behavior when there was not technical damage to the merchant. I realize if I am ordered to then that it the way it is, just don't think that teaches him much of a lesson.

Thank you for your time.
The store can go after you and kiddo civilly and that could present a problem for you seeing as if if/when they get a judgment against you, they can do things such as attach bank accounts in order to collect.

I realize if I am ordered to then that it the way it is, just don't think that teaches him much of a lesson
On a side note, the store is not supposed to teach him a lesson... that's for you to do.

Seeker73

petty theft of a minor

The store can go after you and kiddo civilly and that could present a problem for you seeing as if if/when they get a judgment against you, they can do things such as attach bank accounts in order to collect.

On a side note, the store is not supposed to teach him a lesson... that's for you to do.
Yeah, just wish if they were going to bring it to court that the court would take the opportunity to teach him a lesson by way of added penalties to give him more reason to really think twice about doing something like that again and not just say what the heck my mom is the one who will have to pay. Just wish I could say sorry buddy you bought yourself into this one and I am not going to bail you out, your gonna have to pay to the tune of the court.

Anyway, thank you so much of your reply. It did clear up some specifics that I thought was the case anyway just wanted to be positive. Since they are well within their rights and are doing this perfectly legally my best option is to call them and see if they will settle and give me a payment plan. Idiot kid, LOVE HIM but GOSH I just wanna strangle him!

CdwJava

I'd recommend setting up an IOU chart and sonny boy can work the fine off by doing EXTRA chores around the house, for friends and family, and wherever there is a need. Have a neighbor who is elderly and needs a good yard cleaning? Maybe some time volunteering for a community group? Let's see ... $625 ... oh, I'd call that about 125 hours of labor (but then, I don't believe in a minimum wage - you could always be kinder ... I'd probably consider 208 hours myself).

The best intervention possible to prevent future problems is a swift, certain, and unequivocal response from a parent.

Good luck!

- Carl

Shay-Pari'e

Yeah, just wish if they were going to bring it to court that the court would take the opportunity to teach him a lesson by way of added penalties to give him more reason to really think twice about doing something like that again and not just say what the heck my mom is the one who will have to pay. Just wish I could say sorry buddy you bought yourself into this one and I am not going to bail you out, your gonna have to pay to the tune of the court.

Anyway, thank you so much of your reply. It did clear up some specifics that I thought was the case anyway just wanted to be positive. Since they are well within their rights and are doing this perfectly legally my best option is to call them and see if they will settle and give me a payment plan. Idiot kid, LOVE HIM but GOSH I just wanna strangle him![

I don't know if this will help, but I will share a story.

My son who is now in in the AF, stole books from Barns and Nobal. Hubbby caught on, and did a shake down of his room. (Years ago).

My husband came off of working 3 day's straight dorm damage in Santa Cruiz, and took that kid with those books down to Barns and Noble. They scanned those books, and they were definetly theirs. My husband came home and got every game under the earth that that child owned. He then took my son to *E-Be* toy's, to sell enough to pay for the books. Hubby then went with my son to pay for the books. He then took him to the public library and made him donate the books.

Think about clever things to come up with kids.

Last edited:

Seeker73

Thanks for the suggestions and replies. They are appreciated.

The fact is I do not have the money to pay the fine and allow him to pay me back in chores or whatever. He is going to go have to get a job and pray they don't put me in jail in the meantime for not paying the fine. I can't borrow any money from family as I just went through a divorce/custody battle that drained all the resources.

He has nothing to sell. Unfortunately I have been pretty poor so I haven't able to buy him anything over the years. He has a bed and clothes in his room, that's it. No cd's, no "toys", no bikes/skateboards, no computer, IPod or cell phone...nothing.

Ahhhh I don't know anyway...I grounded him which is really all I can do. Dad has never been in his life, wanted nothing to do with him before he was even born. So, getting dad to help isn't an option.

I am just going to have to call the law firm handling this and beg for them to not take this to court to accept a settlement out of court with a VERY kind payment plan and find some way to force him to get a job make these payments.

But thanks again everyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">