• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Plans

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

hopeful66

Hi, I am a 17 year old girl living in Indiana. I was taken away from my birth family at a young age and placed into foster care, from there I endured many years of abuse by various people. My abuse stoped two years ago, but the emotional damage has yet to be healed. I heard that at the age of 17 you can move out without your parent or guardien's consent.In my case it would be my adoptive parents.

Further details on my moving out situation: I plan on moving in with my birth brother whom I love and trust. He can get me a job at the childrens hospital that he works at and I can enroll in the local public school with him as my guarien. He is 19 years of age and lives in a two bedroom apartment. I would help pay rent and buy groceries.

Can I legally leave (move out) without my adoptive parents consent? I would have a place to stay, a job, and I would be in school.

CSO286

Hi, I am a 17 year old girl living in Indiana. I was taken away from my birth family at a young age and placed into foster care, from there I endured many years of abuse by various people. My abuse stoped two years ago, but the emotional damage has yet to be healed. I heard that at the age of 17 you can move out without your parent or guardien's consent.In my case it would be my adoptive parents.

Further details on my moving out situation: I plan on moving in with my birth brother whom I love and trust. He can get me a job at the childrens hospital that he works at and I can enroll in the local public school with him as my guarien. He is 19 years of age and lives in a two bedroom apartment. I would help pay rent and buy groceries.

Can I legally leave (move out) without my adoptive parents consent? I would have a place to stay, a job, and I would be in school.
You heard wrong.

Emancipation (the age where you can legally live where you want and do as you please) occurs at age 18 in Indiana.

hopeful66

Grounds for Emancipation

Based on what I posted previously, do you think I have solid grounds to file for emancipation? Meaning do you think I would get granted?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Based on what I posted previously, do you think I have solid grounds to file for emancipation? Meaning do you think I would get granted?
No.
You'll be 18 in less than a year and can do whatever you please. It's really not that long to wait.

CSO286

When do you turn 18?

Getting emancipated is a very long process and you have to be able to prove self sufficiency. Not that you will be self sufficient...that you are now.
Public assistance and moving in with XYZ person who "will help me pay bills" doesn't count.

Indiana Filer

In my years of working in the juvenile courts in Indiana, I have seen TWO juveniles get emancipated. Both had completed the Job Corps program, had their HS diplomas, had savings, jobs, and a place to live on their own. If you can't support yourself, you won't get emancipated, especially if you're planning on having a legal stranger support you.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

Because she found someone who is a legal adult that she wants set up housekeeping and do the horizontal shuffle with.:D
Proof that some don't read before posting. :cool:

LdiJ

Because she found someone who is a legal adult that she wants set up housekeeping and do the horizontal shuffle with.:D
The Geekess is right...this proves you don't read before you post.

She wants to move in with HER BROTHER.

You owe this OP a very sincere apology for your disgusting assumptions.

OHRoadwarrior

Oy Vey!!! I did miss that. I humbly apologize for mistaking you wanting to move in with your brother. I hereby submit myself for the punishment of 30 lashes with a wet noodle.:eek:

(I'm on the heavy pain meds this evening I confess to a "parting the fog" issue.)

The Geekess is right...this proves you don't read before you post.

She wants to move in with HER BROTHER.

You owe this OP a very sincere apology for your disgusting assumptions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">